ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black waterfall

Black waterfall

When I posted “Renoir’s dog,” I said I’d stopped painting when the dog’s ear began to look like a Franz Kline painting … That was because I had a different idea about the ear, how it could be a painting in itself …

But I was aware that large flat areas of black against white inevitably would be compared with Kline, or Motherwell, or passages in Picasso’s Guernica … Still, the ear as a pure abstraction had appeal …

So I needed a way to represent the black shape of the ear against the white of the fur …

What if the ear’s width became its height, maybe as distant mountains with a waterfall, maybe as a waterfall barely perceptible high up in black mountains that rise out of mists … Like the waterfalls in certain Chinese monumental landscape paintings …

Such was the train of thought behind “Black Waterfall” …
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chinapete; 03-27-2012 at 03:35 AM.
    xiěyì, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

wonderful.. I can hear the distant murmuring of that waterfall... I like the train of thought that inspired this... there is much more to be gained from that line of thinking..

It's very interesting how you direct our thinking to the interpretation of your images. It works very well and I like it. Perhaps, say, you could do us a try test. Placing one of your pictures (a new image) and you would ask us then to give the title of the painting, so you could evaluate our interpretation without being influenced. Just a thought. Let me say that your pictures are very interesting, a kind of makeover that has something refreshing and beautiful.

Hype and modern ChinaPete

Best,

Weeks

As always, Gary, thanks … Visual artists are thought to be non-verbal, but not on this forum, hehe, and there’s always more to say … I’m tempted to begin a Black Waterfall thread to tease out a few of the ideas …

Weeks … you’re back ...

Lima, thanks for the tantalizing suggestion … I suppose one of my next paintings could be titled Untitled … Then if others wished to offer names, the painting might assume different or even conflicting personalities … It’s rare to see Untitled on this forum, but it’s hard to name a painting accurately … Paul Klee is an exception, although most people probably appreciate his titles more than his art …

damasocl’s signature has "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

... and we also can say, y también hace visible lo invisible, it also makes visible the invisible ... which is all that I'd like to do ...
    Artrage Gallery

I like it even better turned upside down....

Wanted to comment on this one in particular. It's an interesting evolution from an Impressionist painting to a close up detail, and then to go closer still. It takes on a little connotation of zooming in on a fractal -- worlds within worlds sort of thing. Explorational. Thoughtful.

There is also a quality that seems to be on your path, that being a sort of fusion of European and Chinese sensibilities into some third thing. It reminds me a little of when the West really began infusing itself with Eastern philosophies etc back in post-WWII times (50s-60s especially), with the Arts and Religions and so on.

An interesting association I get from your chronological path is that you took a picture of a dog in Europe (art) and delved into the picture of it and ended up in China (art), where the original strain of all modern dogs originated. Was that intentional?

Anyway, the monolithic shape you have has an interesting monumental power through the primitive rectangular shape. By inscribing faintly a little waterfall on it feels sculptural to me, as if there is only a little relief on the surface. And dividing up the space at the bottom in an intriguing way with the lighter gray, it's very powerful aesthetically.

There's one more thing that I found in looking at this one that relates. It is a dark bar sitting on a white page here in ArtRage on my monitor. And whether intentional or not, it has taken on the aspect of a change line in an iChing hexagram (albeit needing to be flipped 90 degrees and wanting 5 more lines, although one can look at one only at a time). Still it has that kind of quality for me and alludes to Chinese elements, which you put in through Water.

So if you were going after the unified field essential material, what better paradigm than that from the iChing (which was to have derived from the same original divination source as Chinese calligraphy). And the associations with Kline and Motherwell and that modern art calligraphic mark making is impossible to ignore.

Fascinating. A very cool example of less is more.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Hi. Pete. That sort of stuff is much to clever for this old sod tried to look
    At it upside down but my IPad had other Idea's

haha, Eighty+, I was about to tell Shibui I also did a headstand, assuming that was how she managed it ...

D Akey, I'm about to reply to your many insights, am still coming up with the words, thank you so much ...
    Artrage Gallery

Hi D Akey,

About fusion, many years ago in China I had the idea of illustrating all 64 hexagrams in the Yi Jing (I Ching, or Book of Changes) ... I completed three or four paintings and then abandoned the idea ... But one of my recent posts, the study of Goya's The Forge, actually is an attempt to return to the hexagram series ... I'm old enough now to be able to plagiarize myself, hehe ...

What is the connection between The Forge and the hexagrams? ... Fire ... In ancient times, the bones of animals were thrust into fire until fissures or cracks appeared, and these were annotated by very simple picto-graphic incisions, many of which are still recognizable in modern Chinese characters ... The purpose was to tell the emperor whether conditions were or were not favorable for undertaking certain actions ...

The fissures probably also gave rise to the idea of single change lines, as you call them, which later were systemized into the Book of Changes ...

So in my hexagram series, I wanted to depict the change lines as they are coming into being through fire ... I'll post one soon on The Forge thread, as a way of explaining why I seized on the detail of the fire in Goya's painting, and not, say, on the monumental power of the raised sledgehammer ...

There is much more to be said about your generous insights into my thinking, but no doubt it will seem self-serving or even rude if I go on like this, so may I return to these ideas in a later post? ...
    Artrage Gallery