ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A Little Help Is Needed...

A Little Help Is Needed...

I lost my wife to cancer in august of 2011. Up until then I was a regular participant in these forums and really loved painting. After she passed away I havent been able to paint. I want to paint but I just cant seem to get the creative juices flowing again. I drop by now and then to see the artwork but I just can't seem to produce any. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I would love to be able to paint again.
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

So very sorry for your loss. That is a tough question, but I would bet that your wife is aching because you lost not only her, but your joy of painting. Maybe go to a place she loved or focus on an object, flower or whatever, especially with spring here and paint it just for her. Best wishes and prayers ..... Look forward to seeing more, Gail

Hi Steve, I am very sorry for your loss. I lost my hubby a year ago and I know how difficult it is . One doesn't seem able to settle and concentrate for more than a minute or two but give it time and that will help .

dear Semd, I am very sorry to hear about your loss.
    glad to hear that you're still visiting the forums, looking at all the paintings - hopefully you occasionally see something that makes you smile

what if you just try to paint what you feel? it doesn't have to be "something pretty" ... doesn't have to be "something recognizable" or realistic, just some paint, various brushstrokes, while thinking about what you're feeling.
    just a thought .. best wishes
    >>> MSIE's ArtRage Gallery <<<

"It's a living growing mutating art sculpture painting synthesis." (quote screenpainter)

Semd, sorry to hear about your loss.. Go out, do something new, walk and walk... time will heal your feelings. Oriane Lima.

Hi there.

It is always hard to lose someone important in your life. For me, when I lost my grandparents (all cancer oriented), I used my artwork and poetry as a way of getting through it. I painted and made poetry for them.

My biggest suggestion would be try not to force it, it takes time to get past a block. But you will find inspiration again. Give yourself 30 minutes a day to try and if nothing comes, it doesn't come and try not to make yourself feel guilty for not getting anything out. That is one of the most important things that I had to learn. If you make yourself feel guilty, it just makes the block bigger and more difficult to chip away. Blocks are something that everyone comes in contact with at one time or another and they do eventually go away with some patience and effort.

Doing different things, trying different creative things may help open your block. I make poetry, short stories, dream catchers, quilts and floral arrangements and all of those things have helped me during the times where I couldn't get the paint out. I also watch youtube tutorials of art and visit tutorials and tutorial websites.

Give yourself some time. Your wife would want you to continue painting, but you need time to grieve and come to terms with this terrible loss to a terrible disease.

Take care

Steve... so happy you have reached out in this forum... that is a BIG step towards your healing by itself. I knew you had lost your wife and I can only guess at that pain. But if you continue to look at work on the forum that is good.. the spark is still there... maybe as MSIE says you can just sit and do try to do "ART" but put digital pen to paper and doodle .. just do something... doesn't matter what... my prayers and support are with you..

Thank you all for your responses...its nice to know that people care and I will try
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

I'm sorry for your loss, I can't imagine what that would be like. I've found that what gets me through a slump in creativity is trying to copy a favored artist or style. It warms you up, and you learn in the process, and ( often in my case, anyways), it may inspire you to create your own unique piece. Just a thought.

Yeah, I was wondering what happened to you. Very sorry for your loss. But you have been missed. When I had my moments with depression I was not able to do much of anything either. But the thing I found that helped came from unexpected quarters and not doing the same stuff the same way. By and by the weight lifts. In the end it's different. We change. But there is still lots of joy to be had in the new.

Take your time. Hang out. No pressure to paint until it's something that you want to do. But step in with brush anytime. The program awaits.

I also agree what was said that Art can be a great release.

Be well, my friend.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream