ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Piece Quilter

The Piece Quilter

Don't throw anything away. Scraps, pieces, strings.
    My grandmother was a woman who made the most beautiful clothes, quilts and anything that she wanted and without a sewing machine. She didn't own one, or want one.
    She would sit while watching television or listening to the radio with a bag of either cutouts or scraps to sew. To me, the string quilts were the most beautiful because of the stories that went with them.
    The hard winters...but there were always warm quilts. The old shirts that grandfather wore while working so hard all day cutting down trees for fifty cents now sewn into this story.
    There were the stories of the depression and how they made sure that jars were ready, seeds were kept. Things were truly recycled with her.
    A beautiful garden, a yard with a dog that wondered her way that she would take care of, the barn with a box full of meowing kittens there when we would come to visit....and the huge weeping willow...
    She was a quilt herself...with so many wonderful pieces sewn together.

Just wanted to share a special memory...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sandy, are these pieces of your other paintings? To me that would be a great idea. Especially parts of paintings that didn't make the cut.
    I think this would be better with a more distinctive pattern in the background and just black silhouettes in the front. To me the mom looks like she is blindfolded and gagged.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Great idea

Love this art piece and sharing the sentiments about your grandmother. Wonderful!

Interesting idea

Earle

A treasured memory and expertly painted Sandy
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Haha Neal...you are right! Idea not so bad, but the application-can easily be changed. Thank you for your crit-and great idea. I have so many-and could easily put more into this. A quickie doodle before bed the other night-maybe too quickie.

Thanks Albert. Sewing is such an important part of my life and creativity-I thought I would start merging the two. Both sides of the family sew. My sister designs the most beautiful quilts, and I want to make wall quilts. It is all upstairs...ready to be taken out of the dusty attic of this brain to the table.
    I would like to make these string quilts too as they were once called in honor of the women in the past who made them from recycled clothing and scraps of material. Maybe type a story to go with them to pass on.

Thanks Earle, I appreciate that!

Thanks dear Katie...it sure is. Now I need to do it.

Sandy... you are so lucky to have such wonderful memories of your grandmother, I like the ideas of quilting.... seems like MSIE recently explored with some success using stitching stencils..something Fashmir came up with originally...

Grannies do have a special role in memory of most of us since they usually have an utmost deep and unique kind of love line always on with their gransons and grand daughters.
    Thank You for reminding it so intensely with Your fantastic story and painting.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

A lovely painting and a great story to go with it truly heartwarming
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

We were so close dear Gary. I need to check out Fashmir's stencils-I love his work.

So true dear Cesare, thank you!

Thank you my dear friend Amanda.