ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Six persimmons

Six persimmons

This is a visualization of how six persimmons might look if they were drawn as one ...

Method: Six single strokes overlaid
    Each stroke about the same length and shape
    Total time about six seconds

AR on iPhone / Wacom Bamboo stylus
    AR Flat paper
    Blue-black crayon at 75% opacity

I'm borrowing ideas from a much-admired painting of the same title by the 13th c. Chinese monk, Mu Qi, and here is a Wiki link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Muqi-persimmons.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by chinapete; 03-25-2012 at 11:55 PM.
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

A second meditation, same technique ...

Here's what I was listening to as I prepared to draw:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUrGFIjYszw
    Last edited by chinapete; 03-27-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    Artrage Gallery

chinapete... quite beautiful music... love the poetry..and the intent of six persimmons.. of which I am familar..Chinese painting and some Zen calligraphy was an early inspiration to me.. I loved the idea that the scene is can portray vast distances and the misty spaces inbetween show scale.. instead of western linear perspective.. if I am making sense. also the "direct mark" unaltered to capture the essence of the thing ( persimmons ) another concept dear to me. it is from these wells that a lot of my artistic direction has come from..

Gary, the music by Zhou Yunpeng, a blind Chinese folk guitarist, and the poetry by Hai Zi, a prolific Chinese poet who killed himself at age 25, and has been compared by the Chinese to van Gogh and Rimbaud, are wildly popular in China, but not very well known on the "outside" ...

It seems you and I have followed similar paths, and it's always fascinating to hear about external influences on art, I make no distinction between life and art, all is integrated, nothing is alien ...

My zen moments usually occurred when I was watching black-and-white Japanese samurai movies ... I was conscious of the camera not moving and of reality streaming past a fixed focal point, pretty much what happens even today when I look at paintings ...
    Artrage Gallery

chinapete...there is another aspect of traditional asian painting and that is the use of a set of well defined types of brushstrokes when used in conjunction together form the landscape painting.. I must say that many years ago I was captured by that idea that there was a "shorthand" of marks /brushstrokes that could be engaged in a myriad of artistic ways to generate a "landscape" or scene.. I think R Motherwell and Franz Kline westernized that idea somewhat and enlarged the scale to the monumental...

Gary, your description of "a set of well-defined brushstrokes" to form landscape painting, apart from reminding me of certain Stickers in ArtRage, also applies to Chinese writing, and it would not be hard to make the case that Chinese landscape painting is actually a form of calligraphy -- writing elevated to an art form ...

The Western alphabetic writing system is based on a limited set of arbitrary symbols that do not connect organically to visual reality in the way that calligraphy does ...
    Artrage Gallery

Posting the third and final image in this series ... because three is a basic grouping in Chinese paintings, three mountain peaks, six principles, nine goldfish ... I've displayed all three side by side to give the impression of a still life, the most recent is on the right ...
    Artrage Gallery