ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renoir's dog...

Renoir's dog...

This started out as a quick sketch to loosen up my hand for the weekend, and then turned into a project of its own ... There's more to be done, but I stopped when the dog's ear began to look like a Franz Kline I'd seen in the Modern in New York City ...

This is a study in black shapes, although as I remember from looking at the painting in the museum, Renoir probably didn't use black, but a deep blue-purple ... I've left out the reds, mostly ...

ps: the dog's expression (which I haven't really captured) reflects the fact that Mme Charpentier's six-year-old daughter is sitting on him ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    xiěy, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Smashing. Haven't never seen the pic where is it. So I can view. Thanks

---- E/S

Have admired all of your work! You leave so much to the imagination of one's mind in your other works, which I love . But , as a dog lover , this is very special!

Thanks Shibui ... And Eighty+ ... and here is the link to the painting:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/07.122

xiěy, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

Lovely work
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

Great how you applied the thin layers of color on the canvas and preserved the canvas texture! Very beautiful Pete and pretty close to the original!

Another stunning study outcome! Bravissimo!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

chinapete.. quite good.. love the richness of the black as emphasized by the transparent and bright whites..

Neat gimmick with the close ups as you have in this series. Has the feel of old paintings clearly, and it alludes to art books where they show details. Most of these seem to feature the effects of the aging paint with varnish and all that texture that happens there.

But I can't think of when I've seen someone using just that. I think they rather work. And it's interesting that you're using that backdoor to leap into a comparison with Kline's work in this case. Being that it's jumping genres, it poses an interesting question.

They talk about viewing distances for paintings, stepping back. But you're going macro like magnified photography. No longer is it about the original artist or even the larger subject although alluding to them as the source vests it with a certain forensic Art History weight.

This approach gives it a more universal connection among the artists at the paint materials level. A personal viewer's unified field theory approach.

Very clever.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream