ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: photo as canvas?

photo as canvas?

Alright, I hope I don't get slammed for asking this..
    I've searched and searched and can't figure out how to do this.
    I just want to take a photo of something and have it be the canvas and not have the tools smear the photo around.

Can you create a canvas from a photo or do I have to just import the photo and use another layer for painting?

Thanks

Hi Scott,

The best way to do this I would say is to import the photo, then add a new layer and paint on that above. This avoids affecting the paint which makes up the imported photo. The actual canvas in Studio / Studio Pro is separate from your photo, it's basically a collection of settings for the texture of the painting in general.

If you do this, does it give you the effect you're looking for? If not, can you let me know what isn't working for you and I may be able to make some more suggestions to help.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

You could import a picture as a canvas, but it wouldn't look the same, because it would be translated as a grain. For example, in my attached image you'll see a picture of a castle. The top half is the image as it originally appeared. The bottom half is what the image looks like when it's imported as a Canvas in ArtRage (which means it's a texture grain). If you import the image to a layer, and then use another layer to paint over it, the tools will not interact with image. But as a texture grain, the tools will run into the texture of the image (as long as each layer is set to use the canvas grain).

(EDIT) - Whoops... I was late to post, so Dave beat me to the punch. That's what I get for watching TV while posting, lol. I'll leave this up, in case it helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canvasex1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	254.7 KB 
ID:	65360
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thank you DaveRage!
    I figured that was the case but I just wanted to make sure before I went much further.

-Scott

Thanks Someonesane!
    That actually gives me some ideas! Glad to learn these things

i have learned something again, thanks for the sharing of your knowledge.