ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: tiny picture when printing

tiny picture when printing

I printed a painting today. It came out tiny, only 2x2,5 inch. It looks really big in Art rage on my monitor and I have it set to 300 dpi.. Just wondered why it so small. When I export it and open it with Irfan it looks big too but when I print the preview shows a very small pic.
    Any idea what setting I have to change?

Hi there,

If your painting is printing out at a small size then then you will have created a small painting originally. For example, if you create a 1200 x 1200 pixel image at 300 dpi your image is going to print out at 4 inches by 4 inches assuming you are printing at 300 dpi ( 300 x 4 = 1200 ). For an existing image, setting the DPI value higher will make your image print out smaller ( same number of dots, more dots per inch = smaller image when printed but more detail ), setting it lower will give a larger image but with less detail ( same number of dots, less dots per inch = larger image when printed but less detail )

You can resize your painting via the Edit menu, but you will lose quality when you do this as you're basically stretching the original information, it's best to create the image at the intended size when you start your painting ( File -> New Painting ). You will notice when you go to Edit to change your DPI value in Studio or Studio Pro that if you click 'print size' you will see the size of the painting when printed at that DPI

For ArtRage Studio and Studio Pro, when creating a new painting, ( File -> New Painting ), you can click on 'Print size' to select the intended size in inches, cm and so on and the DPI value. This will create a painting at the size you specify.

For more information on print sizes, I'd recommend viewing the "Working with ArtRage Files" section of the manual ( Help -> ArtRage Help ).

If you're using Artrage 2, you can also set the size when creating a new painting by setting the dimensions and also the DPI value.

I hope this helps!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Red face

I think I probably used the size of the tracing image which was very small. It was my first print so I hope it is the only one this small.

No problem, you can check the size of any of your paintings in Edit -> Resize the painting ( if using Studio / Studio Pro ). Click 'Print Size' and you should see the dimensions. You can create a painting at your prefered size when you begin ( File -> New Painting, click 'Print Size' ) then load your tracing image afterwards from the tracing panel. By default the tracing image will be resized to fit your canvas. Just thought that might be worthwhile mentioning in case it helps with setting up new paintings.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks Dave. I think that was it, I wanted to fill the canvas with the tracing image.
    It still looks pretty good. Some lines have a bit of that square pixels look but no problem for this image.

I made some bits of art for a website a couple times and later wanted to print it out to put in my portfolio, While 100 percent looks rather large on the monitor, it still prints out at just a few inches.

I didn't make them THAT small though, I was already aware of the potential resize issue...

Anyway, I want to say that printing out on great quality photo paper, the print out will still look gorgeous if you choose to increase the image size 150% before the print... I'd say you can get a good looking image at about 165%, but any higher and it might start looking a bit blurry...

But really 150% looks awesome.

From now on, make sure any image file you work with is at least 300ppi before you put pen to tablet, and as a rule of thumb, make it larger than you even think you want it to be.

Happy Painting!

Here is an easy way of setting up Artrage for printing.

When you create a new painting the dialog for image size will open.

change from pixels to print size then set your dimensions and ppi (pixels per inch) in the corresponding boxes.

It will create the image at the correct pixel size for the print you want to create.