ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please give me some critiques

Gallery
    View images

Please give me some critiques

hello, this is one of my first tries with Artrage, so far i really like the program. but i wish it had a better blending tool other than the spatchual. maybe a blending stump? anyways, this was done with the chalk brush. thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flower_power_966.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	5013  

Gallery
    View images
    Beautiful picture. I love your choice of colors and the overall look of the work! I hope to get some of my stuff posted soon - right now I am spending a lot of time in the forums looking at what everyone else is doing.
    Keep up the good work! Joe
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Gallery
    View images
    thanks jvolkel, that means alot to me. can't wait to see some of your stuff as well.

Gallery
    View images
    I love the vibrancy of your painting fisharms. I am not in a position to criticise but the thing that struck me is that the vase is right bang in the middle of your canvas with equal spaces on either side! How would it look if you cropped one side a bit? Just a suggestion, hope you don't mind!

Gallery
    View images
    I know that the "traditionak wisdom" says not to center your point of interest, but to me fisharms did a good job of creating an interesting painting. His choice of colors puts the greatest 'weight' above center (at least to my eye' and I think that it would look out of balance if the POI was shifted to either side. IMHO
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Gallery
    View images
    Might want to anchor it with a shadow on the surface it's resting upon.

I love the flowers that are shaped like lilies. They actually feel rendered/

On the other hand, the (roses?) and the background have a quick 1950s animation stylization that's been revived. Looks cool.

The cast shadow is kinda important though.

Keep up the good work.

Gallery
    View images
    Joe and D Akey are absolutely right and I am wrong, sorry! Amazing how good, experienced artists can spot at once what needs doing! I do like your style very much fisharms. In my art class I find myself pondering over what or why something isn't working for me. Then along comes my teacher and hey presto he sees it at once ops: Thanks guys, I am learning all the time.

Gallery
    View images
    Not about right and wrong, vii.

Art is entirely about opinions. Any one of us would make a different painting than this because of having different processes we go through. That's what it's all about.

Cropping is not a bad idea as it would solve some composition issues.

What it's going to be used for will have some bearing on composition.

If this is for animation, for example, centered is sometimes good because of the TV cutoff that happens. When a movie is being shown in a theater, and all's right compositionally, then taken to TV one finds it crops a lot off.

But you wouldn't necessarily want to hang a painting with all that extra space at the edges -- though you may (again about taste).

And print graphic designers will frequently crop photos to suit their printed works to work with type and montages in many cases.

So your comments are good. Just a matter of how you're visualizing it to be.

8)

Gallery
    View images
    fisharms.........I got a tip for you... reduce the paper grain to zero for using chalk and crayon....it gives you a whole new smooth effect on both tools......Jack.
    http://jacktar51.cgsociety.org/
    Some of my artwork can be seen at the above link.......Jack.

Gallery
    View images
    D Akey thank you very much indeed for your lucid explanation.