ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: About the Forums

Gallery
    View images

About the Forums

Ever since i joined the ArtRage forums, i have been seeing alot of new members registering and just posting spam. I joined because of the love of the program, but then i see new members after me joining and posting nothing but spam. Every time i see another member join, i wonder if they are gonna spam the forums. Is there anything that can be done about this, and why do people even bother.

I am a noob here, and find these forums full of great people and very talented artists. But when i see all the spammers signing up, it makes me concerned.

I know the Mod's are doing a great job here, but is there anything that can be done about it.

Sorry if this post doesn't belong here, but i hate to click on any new member just to see if they are spammers.

Mods, keep up the great job....I will work on a great picture soon.

Shawn
    Adventure Game Studio User
    ArtRage 2 User

Gallery
    View images
    They are more likely Bots than actual "members". The AR site has managed to get itself on some lists somewhere or another. Its just a regretable side effect of keeping an easily accesible open community.

Beyond that an unfortunate side effect of selling very affordable/free software is that youre going to attract the attention of a certain "element" from that as well... from those with a zero level of online sophistication and sensibility, to those looking to exploit to former.

They could increase the difficulty of the registering process to try and filter some of those out, or subject new users to more scrutiny and a waiting period, but every step you take in the direction also makes things less friendly for legitimate members( and potential sales!) looking to join.

There doesnt seem to be a "report post" function though, which could greatly increase the speed with which these kinds of posts are brought to the administrators attention and deleted.

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you ScottC for your reply. Now I understand.

Shawn
    Adventure Game Studio User
    ArtRage 2 User

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Domino. I think ScottC has a good take on this. The bots should be stopped from actually posting by the image confirmation people are required to go through when registering an account, but they do create accounts here from time to time in an attempt to get search engine hits for their nefarious pages. I go through regularly and delete these from our member list. It's true that we want to strike a balance between stopping these sorts of people and not making it too hard or intimidating for new users to sign up.

If a spammer goes to the trouble of manually registering they may get away with posting a message, but we remove these, delete and ban the users who posted them as soon as we see them.

Spam certainly is a nuisance, and we'll continue to work to stop spammers whenever we find them. We don't have very much love for the people who come and post inappropriate stuff like that here either. If you ever see anything which concerns you on the forums, do feel free to send me a private message and I'll get right on to it.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design