Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .arpack Traditional Media Surfaces

Dear Juz, terrific... thank you really very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Micmac View Post
    Thaks for the packadge Juz

Seems I dont get the results that ScreenPanter does. Maybe I use the papers wrongly?
    I use "Edit Layer Textuere..." In layers palette.
    I am actually setting the overall canvas texture on these and not just the layer textures. when you just edit layer texture the actual canvas texture you have selected can still show through. canvas texture is changed from the menu on the layers palette where you will find canvas textures. you can also use keyboard shortcut control shift c. or access canvas textures from the toolbar menu as well. canvas texture sets the texture for the whole painting and layer texture sets texture for individual layers. hope that helps.

also keep in mind that I sometimes used chalk on the left to highlight the texture and watercolor on the right.
    for marker paper I used the felt pen with a preset marker I use.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

my purpose was really to show off the grains really and not the particular mediums.
    but... for those that would like to know what mediums I used to get these results...

for canvas roughen I used watercolor and some chalk 2% pressure to bring out the grain.
    for canvas soft cotten I used an oil brush preset I have shared in art supplies called a big oil wash. I also used a little chalk 2% to bring out the grain.
    for marker paper I used a felt pen marker presets called art brush and one called soft pastel. they have been previously shared in art supplies.
    for newsprint I used chalk set to 2% and crayon.
    for pastel paper I used crayon or chalk on the left and watercolor on the right. for sandpaper I used chalk and over layed watercolor upper right.
    for sketchbook paper I used pencil presets that have been shared by me in art supplies section.
    for WC cotton rag I used chalk on the left and watercolor on the right.
    for WC Fine I used colored pencil preset on the left and watercolor on the right. for parchment it is just three watercolor presets.

Thanks so much fmc, Michael, JustJean and Oriane

@GZ, Albert I can't thank you enough for your high praise and considerable contribution to this thread. YOU ROCK M8

@Michael
    Here is a side by side comparison of the same brush/settings used on canvas (left) and as a layer texture (right).

Name:  comparison.png
Views: 1372
Size:  63.6 KB

If you're experiencing a different result between the two ... make sure you have 'use canvas texture' off in your edit texture dialog.

Digital Watercolour is a very different animal from real world watercolours currently and there are many dedicated threads in the 'Tips and Tricks' section where enthusiasts are trying to nut out how to achieve an effect that simulates what they can get in the real world. They are well worth a look. Many effects in the real world have to be 'fudged' in digital... eg/ dripping watercolour, salt effects, sponged and splattered effects.

Using mixed media like GZ's examples can help achieve 'that certain look' (a pixel is a pixel so we don't have to be purists about strictly using 'watercolour' if something else will give the watercolour effect we seek quicker and easier ).

Both edge bleed and the paint area itself are affected by a combination of the tool settings and the paper grain type used. Here is a very obvious example.

Name:  crackle.png
Views: 1375
Size:  43.9 KB

How much contrast there is in the grain file will determine how affected the interior paint areas are. High contrast will yield more dramatic results and low contrast will give much more subtle effects. You can also try increasing the 'roughess' setting in the edit texture dialog a little higher to see if the paper reacts with the paint more to your liking.

If you can, uplink an example (photo or scan), or link to an example of what your trying to accomplish either in this thread or in the Tips and Tricks section. It may be a simple matter of providing you with a paper grain that has more contrast or it may be that your looking for an effect that could be best achieved another way. The community here is wonderfully helpful and i'm confident that a way can be found to emulate what you desire.
    Last edited by Juz; 03-13-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

These are great. Thanks!

These look great Juz. The link appears broken, can I get them from somewhere else?
    Cheers

Thank you Juz. Great text to use.

Best,

Weeks

Thanks! These are great canvases.

Brett
    Visit my gallery here.

=========

The link worked second time I tried, they are great! Thanks.

Some of those look rather good. Thank you.