Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wet on wet watercolor effect

Thank you Fashmir! It's been a lot of fun. I do have to say that some of the wet work you're getting here, with the vienation and sedimentation is pretty good stuff! I've done some work like that in the past, but it took a lot of work with stencils. I think using the brush set provided here would probably be much quicker, and give pretty comparable results.

I've actually collected a whole image gallery of things that work really well for these sorts of stencils-- nebulae, deltas, rivers, rain showers, oily puddles, etc. That sort of stuff. I thought of uploading it at one point, but lost steam.

I've also been pondering doing a tutorial. Perhaps it'd be of value? I'll admit that much of what I do is liberally stolen from various previous tutorials as well, but I've often thought that a sort of "good links" post with all the best digital watercolor information I could find sort of collated into one place would of value. And I could add some of my own thoughts and processes into the mix as well... but we do "build on the shoulders of those who came before us", and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I've also been pondering doing a tutorial. Perhaps it'd be of value?
    Oooh, please, please do!!!
    I am likewise impressed by your awesome results and clearly you have achieved so much with this

Dear Gz (I didn't until now realize it was you - my bad) thank you for this great thread... I often wondered where you had disappeared to and am so glad to know you've been here all the while!
    P.S: loved your wet in wet results - gorgeous!
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. (Mark Twain)

Steve B- Yes please do. I have been loving working with the watercolor simulation process in ArtRage and would love to get your insights. I am not a watercolorist in real materials and have virtually no experience with the medium other than what I observe and appreciate in the work of other artists. I have recently thought of dabbling in real watercolors but I've been having too much fun with ArtRage.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Steve your watercolor gallery looks awesome. Thanks Fashmir for sharing.
    Rowena, thanks. yep still here.

A number of people have been asking where to find these awesome brushes, as I use the Triangular Chaos quite often in my current work flow, so I thought I'd bump this thread a bit.

BTW, if you go into the Spray Variations and alter the Hue and Luminance brackets under Random to about 10-20%, you can get some very nice effects.
    Last edited by Steve B; 05-17-2012 at 01:51 AM.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Thanks Steve! I will give that a try.
    It is interesting to me that in real world watercolor the rule is working from light to dark and from warm to cool.
    Was wondering if you noticed that is the rule in artrage as well? It seems that way to me.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 05-16-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Screenpainter,
    This is a really good question! I'm going to reply to it in my Watercolor WIPS thread to sort of keep things in a collected area for better reference.

I hope you find this brush useful!
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fashmir View Post
    Hey GZ, I'll be happy to share when I get a bit further in my R&D process. I'm still at a kind of sloppy stage with the organization of my tools and I have a few more nuts to crack before I'm ready to publish another ArtPack. Thanks for the delightful feedback my friend.
    Hi there

How is it going with your R&D Fashmir?

Michael

Watercolor brushes and Tools -- any really good new ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Fashmir View Post
    Hey me too!!! I was floored when I saw your post GZ. I've been working along similar lines for the past month or so just trying to push the watercolor effect with both the watercolor brush and other tools to create deeper believability.

Here is an example of what I've come up with.
    So have you posted any watercolor tools that you have worked on?