ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost my painting completely after crash

Lost my painting completely after crash

I was just about to save my painting in case I had a crash when Art rage crashed. I already saved the painting to my harddrive before and I can see the preview picture but when I open the file the painting is gone. Just a white canvas.
    I'm using artrage 3.5.4 studio pro and windows 7 I
    had made some stickers and used sticker spray a lot.
    Any way I can rescue this?
    Or is this all I have left...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Astrila,

If you had a crash during saving, this could result in a damaged painting file. If the painting wasn't being saved at the time, it should be intact unless something else corrupted it on disk. Is it less than 10 MB in size? If so, could you possibly email the painting file to me at support@artrage.com? Otherwise, email me and let me know the filesize and we can see if we can get a copy of the file from you in another way.

We can take a look at itto see how much data is in the file and if anything can be extracted for you.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

It's quiet small 0,99 MB (1.041.035 bytes) so I don't think there is much in it. It doesn't seem to be corrupt, it opens but just with a blank canvas. Never mind this was only a doodle but I hate to see this happen to something I worked on for weeks.

Judging by the behavior, I'd say the file is damaged most likely, as this would be pretty typical behavior when opening an incomplete file.

When working in applications in general, I tend to recommend creating multiple copies of your work, for example in ArtRage: mypainting1.ptg, then at a later save mypainting2.ptg and so on. This means that you should always have an older copy of your work available if you have a problem while saving / something corrupts data on your disk / power outage and so on.

Please feel free to send me the file anyway, as it may give us an idea of where the problem occured and if the preview exists it may still be possible for us to extract something from it for you. If you had a crash while saving, this would be highly likely to cause the problem. When you email me please let me know what you were doing immediately previous to having the problem if you can recall.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I will send the file but I think it is empty.
    I was using the bamboo pen to open the file menu but I didn't press the save option yet. That's why I thought I lost everything I hadn't saved yet, but everything was gone. I just wonder if you need to close the application after you save because I don't think I did that. I saved it and kept working.
    There is not a command to clear all layers and start with a fresh canvas? I'm new with using that pen so maybe I hit that accidentially?

Thanks for the info. You don't need to close the application after you save, you can carry on working. The only command to start a fresh canvas if you have multiple layers is File -> New Painting really, and this will prompt to save if there are any unsaved changes in your current painting.

After taking a look at your file, it's incomplete, which would tend to indicate that either a save occured and was interrupted ( possibly by a crash ), or the file was damaged on disk. It was possible to extract your painting as a single image from the file though, so I'll email this back to you. You could import it via File -> Import Image then continue working on a new layer above.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thank you Dave for rescuing my picture. It looks almost the same. Just a few bites out of the gloob ball and the borderline is gone. Great!

toolbar is no more?!

I'm totally new to ArtRage and I have just painted a picture for over an hour and suddenly the toolbar was gone? I can only continue painting but I can't save my work or take a step back?
    Has anyone had the same problem?

Can it be, you enabled 'Clear Canvas Mode'? If so, try to right click anywhere or press Enter. It should do the trick.

If you can't get the bar back, doing as Strandy suggested, you might try hitting Ctrl + S. I believe that's the default Save shortcut, to save your work.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.