ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Ragged selections

Ragged selections

Hi

It would be nice if the selection tool could have an option to be ragged by a certain amount.

Then a selection could be like the edges of torn paper.

Nice if one fx used the straight line freehand tool to frame something, and the selection would not look so computer like.

Michael

Hi MicMac
    I wrote a tutorial for how you can achieve something like this using the current toolset

Check it out here:-
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...521#post398521
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Thanks Juz for your suggestion

Consider you were to watercolor a drawing of a toybox with lots of wooden toys in many colors or a small village with many colorful houses.

Then it would be nice to quickly mask the many areas with non-blured delicate ragged edges.

Michael

While my demo was simplistic the principle would be much the same, no matter how complex the imagery... use a solid colour where you want complete masking and use tools appropriate to the edge quality/opacity level you are seeking elsewhere.

Stencils, Masks and Selections are simply different methods the computer uses to represent Alpha, the behaviour is exactly the same. The advantage of making stencils is that you have the full array of artrage tools with which to make your alpha mask. You also have the option of using layers to 'build up' your 'positive' before merging them and creating a stencil.

If you were wanting to speed up the process there's no reason why you couldn't use conventional selection tools to get the area's that will be 100% masked, fill with black paint bucket, deselect and then concerntrate on the edge details with whatever artrage tools were going to give the edge quality you were seeking. Then convert to a stencil etc as in the tutorial.

So if you are wanting soft watercolour type ragged edges, you would set the brush settings and layer texture to something that causes your water colour brush to give that sort of edge quality and then paint them in with whatever opacity level you require.

Lastly when switched to the blue 'guide' mode, stencils will allow a little bleed from the paint tools either side of the edges which can also be nice for creating looser edges.
    Last edited by Juz; 03-10-2012 at 02:22 AM.

Thank again Juz

You sure know your tools.

I will experiment with your suggestions

Michael

Your most welcome Michael. If you have any questions as you explore the technique feel free to send me a private msg.