ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Difference in behavior of wetknife on selection

Difference in behavior of wetknife on selection

Hi there

If I use a wetknife on a magicwand selection, the wetknife actually do no mix the colors but just paint on top.

If I use a wetknife on a retangular selection the wetknife work as usual.

The case might be that one is transparent the ofter not.

The experience is consistent.

Maybe a bug?

Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wetknife.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	64671  

This could relate to the available area for the knife to spread in to being limited by the selection set. What happens if you don't have any selection at all?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi Matt

I have done many more experiments than the above sample.

It is not the limitation of the rectangle.

As I said it is consistent.

It is very easy to try out just two shades of colors next to each others

Michael

Mac ASP 3.5.4

It's probably because you've used a transparent color, using the watercolor tool, then selected the layer contents. Since the color isn't at full opacity, the selection cuts off access to the transparent areas (which are at the pixel level). Since those pixels can't be accessed, the knife can't fill them in, leaving part of the edge, between the two colors, visible. I've recreated your test, along with a third test, where I used 100% Opaque colors. The color block on the upper right uses a transparent yellow, and a 100% opaque blue, and is blended without a selection involved. The color block on the upper right uses a transparent yellow, and a 100% opaque blue, but was blended after I applied the Select Layer Contents. You can see how the line has remained visible, despite the knife blending. The color block on the bottom uses 100% opaque yellow and blue colors, and was then blended after having the Select Layer Contents applied. Because the two colors were not transparent, the knife had full access to entire square, allowing the line between the colors to be blended fully.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mixing.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	64727  
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Retested
    Fully opaque colors

Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images   

What tools did you use?
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Sticker spray > Nature stamps > Cloud Brush 2

One of my favorite

Michael

I'm not able to replicate the problem currently. Could you send a small PTG file with the problem in to support@artrage.com and we'll take a look at it. Before saving make sure that you have set the tools up as if you were about to demonstrate the problem, this way we can see what the tool settings are.

I will also need to know the method you are using for the magic wand selection tool, eg. what the settings are and whether you are able to select the whole area with one click or if you're using more than one selection operation to select it.

Also let us know the method your are using, eg. 1 - Paint two sets of colours using the Oil Brush. 2 - Select with the Rectangular Selection tool. 3 - Blend horizontally with the Wet Palette Knife.

That should help us replicate the issue and either fix it in a future release if it's a bug, or provide an answer as to why it's happening.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.