ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Not a pretty picture

Question Not a pretty picture

Hello everyone,
    my first attempt to make painting using watercolor to color in the surroundings. I usually use crayons and it was a bit of a struggle.
    I like my rocks but they were done in crayon and a bit of spray paint. I like the tops of the trees but the bottoms were a real fight, wonder what to put there because not much to see in the photo. I like the color of the grass but would like to break it up a bit. I don't like the sky. In the photo the sky is boring gray-white.
    Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for watching.

This is also my first post so hello to all other users.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gieten dolmen.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	64649  

Those rocks have the look of a Celtic dolmen. You might want to repeat the vegetation textures around the base of the rocks in various spots in the grass. If you keep the rules of composition in mind, you can use those bits of texture to lead the viewer's eye around the image. That said, I like it as it is.

I think those celtics dolmens might be related to the dutch dolmens.

Had a lot of fun creating stickers and used them for some structure. Spring flowers at the end of summer, I know, but hopefully I get away with it.

take 2:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gieten dolmen2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	64755  

I keep coming back to look at this . I do not have any credentials to offer, but there is something about it that I like a lot! I almost feel that you are slowly feeding us a tremendous talent. I'm not sure what the bright yellow, blue in the woods and the red in front of rocks r, but those colors add a a lot to the overall painting. Like the addition of flowers. Such simplicity now, but will look forward to see new work.

Glad you like it.

The red is a can of coke and the blue is a litter bin.

I see a sort of Cezanne thing going on that I like a lot.

I like what you've done with this. If I might offer a suggestion, you might try adding the limb effect in your trees. Make another layer, so if it doesn't work out, you won't mess up what you have already. Then take
    the marker or pencil, and mark in glimpses of the tree limbs showing up at different spots within the leaves.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery: