ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liquid White and Liquid Black

Gallery
    View images

Liquid White and Liquid Black

As close as I can get to the immutable laws of The Hairy One.

Many thanks to AndyRage for his technical expertise!

Save them in the same .PNG format, and then import them into ArtRage. they should give a very thin coat of black or white.

10 min Demo pic just shows potential. Far from finished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bob_black_575.png 
Views:	1514 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	511  
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    Wow - very cool picture!

Y'know, given how popular the 'wet on wet' painting is, it would be a no-brainer to add a setting to determine the depth of paint covering the canvas when you import an image. It's just that having too many settings around can be daunting for people who are first picking up the application.

I'll have a bit of a ponder.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Andy,

I've never really grasped why the default is so thick.

I know that some painters like to use the paint in a sculpted way, but they usually initially apply it thickly with a brush. The brush marks are part of their painting.

Perhaps a Preferences file would fix it? Choose your own depth of paint.

Gallery
    View images
    i don't think i understand this thread. what do the black and white png's do, exactly? is this like just making a layer of white paint and then trying to paint on it, and you get cool smudgy blending things happening?
    if it's not fun, what's the point?

Gallery
    View images
    Hi,

If you just import a black or white picture to obtain a wet canvas the paint seems to be about 1/4 inch thick. Most tools carve deep channels into the surface.
    These pics were prepared using some guidance from AndyRage and have a thin film of paint on them. If you import them, the paint slides and blends without forming ridges. It enables "Bob Ross" painting which is a form of traditional wet into wet oil painting.

Gallery
    View images
    i grew up watching Bob, absolutely amazing how effortless he made it look!

i think i get it, but perhaps i'll have to download these and give them a shot to really get it.
    if it's not fun, what's the point?

Gallery
    View images
    Yes, Bob Ross rules! I have endless amount of VHS tapes that I've taped from the TV and this is one reason I was excited about artrage so that the palette knife could imitate what he was doing.

However, even with wet on wet, when he applied a small amount of paint to the palette knife and pulled it, it did leave a bumpy kinda mark, based on the canvas surface and the paint was broken up as he pulled it. This is how he painted the mountains for example.

However, in AR if I apply a thin coat of paint, the palette knife will not leave "bumpy" marks as I pull over a think coated surface. It will just pull the paint beneath. I hope one day I could apply some paint to the palette knife also, just to try his techniques.

Also, the Bob White.png has some black blothces on the bottom left. Is that supposed to be there?
    --LES

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    It's just that having too many settings around can be daunting for people who are first picking up the application.
    Daunting!? Oh, no no. Please, just stuff all the settings in there. We love tweaks and zillions of preference settings. Just add a menu item called "Don't Select Me", which will bring up the "Tons of Settings" dialog (...which would pop up the "Told You So" dialog for people who don't like complications and settings...)
    --LES

Gallery
    View images
    Hehe. We'd have to add the 'Please, I'm sorry I fiddled with it - can I have some reasonable settings back' button.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Pentool,

The blotches were cause by the procedure that it took to get the thin coat.
    Which was, too erase a pinhole down to the canvas.
    From what Andy said, I think this tells ArtRage that it is a tiny area of canvas and that everything else is a bump. But he has gone away to think about paint thickness, so all these complications may become redundant.

I went to a local class and saw a real Bob Ross painting, we will never be able to entirely simulate the paint thickness. The trees and mountains are 3D due to the thick paint.

The palette knife was once destined to be able to pick up paint, I shall start nagging about that now! I've been trying a thin roll of tube paint and then knifing it about, but the paint keeps regenerating instead of scraping off.

I have been part of the Beta testing and have banged the Bob Ross drum since the start. I still use his DVD for reminding myself of his techniques.