ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Chinese spirit stone

Chinese spirit stone

My avatar is a sketch of Chinese "thousand layer" spirit stone, it was done on BFK Rives paper with graphite pencils from a stone I saw at an exhibition ... I am trying to reproduce the line and texture on an iPad and in ArtRage Pro, and have attached a script (viewing time about one minute) ...

The technique I use, whether real-world or digital, is that once my hand is set in motion, it does not stop until the drawing is completed ... If you play the script in normal (non-accelerated) playback, you will have a sense of my hand speed as the form is felt out ...

Because of file-size limits, these are thumbnails only, and anyway I just wanted to show you what I'm trying to do on the iPad, the drawings themselves are not that important -- in the script I use a Nomad Compose long-tip brush, with pencil set to 25% (size, pressure, softness) ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    xiěyž, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

chinapete you bring a great artistic sensibility to your works. I like this and was wondering about your avatar, now I know... a great discipline to start the work and not stopping until it is complete.. quite a challenge...

Thank you, Gary ... the Forum is extremely democratic in promoting all sensibilities, and tolerating mine :-)

I was keying off something screenpainter said about my Meditation Pond, that it should be possible to recreate it using colored pencils ... The immediate barriers were hand speed, the ability to vary the pressure of the pencil on the paper while sketching quickly, the elimination of visible start and end points for stroke, and the interruption in workflow to change colors ... It's ironic that the solution potentially -- I'm not there yet -- lies in using a conductive brush as a pencil ...
    Artrage Gallery

chinapete... I just ran your script... that was fun and a great way to watch someone develop a work.. I was thinking watching it that you could develop the spirit stone , etc in mutl-color like your meditation pond by using one color per layer and use multiple layers to "build-up" the final color, and form. that way you are sticking to a single color and can keep you hand moving...anyway just my .02 cents worth...

It's a great suggestion to draw in layers, thanks! I'm focused on texture ...
    Artrage Gallery