ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Camellia in progress. AR watercolor.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    China
    Posts
    67

    Camellia in progress. AR watercolor.

    This is a camellia I've been working on. Another try with the watercolor tool in AR. I didn't actually plan in general (focus, interest spot, brightest & lightest tone, etc.), just picked up my pen and began sketching. It was the watercolor look itself lured me to go deeper.

    Now the flower is almost done, or at least more completed than leaves and background. Obviously the others need updating.

    The flower looks flat according to my husband. And I realized it latter. The reference I'm using is not an ideal one. Its light is softened and not focused. But, as I said, I didn't plan anything. Maybe it's too late to change this and I'm not skilled enough to design a more concentrated light.

    Still, any comments and advice is most welcome.

    I'll do more to at least carry it through to the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Die before I could...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    washington, usa
    Posts
    14,215
    first of all, it's a stunning beauty and very much looks like real watercolor.
    as you progress with it you could add some variations in the hue and values of the leaves to add interest to them. Adding light play usually involves adding layer after layer and maybe a little wet palette knife to blend and give the illusion of watercolor variations. The flower is perfect to me. I don't think you realize how close you are to finished. I would change the orange stem...that's about it. it's gorgeous!!!

    if you want the artrage file to see the layers... you can email me.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 04-16-2012 at 05:37 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    China
    Posts
    67
    Thank you, Screenpainter!
    You over paint is fabulous! The picture looks more focused due to the lightness of the front leaves you shifted. I was planning to add some blue, too!

    I've always been painting with gouache and have never worked with real watercolor like this before. I know it's hard to master due to its transparency and fluidity. Fortunately AR has offered a way to manipulate watercolor like we do opacity media. Or it might not be good for me because I can't get enough practice then. :P Anyway, I can always go back to change and shift my painting as long as I keep those layers. It a good thing to help understand how colors effect each other.

    The lack of light I'm talking about is actually a lack of my mind. I can't design it independently from the reference. I believe it's due to my lack of practice and to improve it needs just a little bit more than adding layers.

    Anyway, your advice is very helpful. And the image you posted above is convincing enough.
    Thank you!
    Die before I could...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    China
    Posts
    67
    This picture was obviously suspended for a long time...but...I'm still working on it !
    A few details are added to the front leaves, and some shade changing in the background.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Die before I could...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    China
    Posts
    67
    Comparing it to the demonstration shown above I found I had lost control.
    I forgot about the overall plan and got obsessed with the veins of the leaves and kept adding shades to them.
    Die before I could...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    washington, usa
    Posts
    14,215
    beautiful finish. It looks great.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    China
    Posts
    67
    Thank you, screenpainter , but that one was not finished yet.

    This is a finished one. I reduced some veins in the front leaf that I casually drew but didn't work well. and more details were added.
    And I added texture to this picture to mimic pigment gather effect. This was done in photoshop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camellia 3 b.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	394.1 KB 
ID:	66115  
    Last edited by yotex; 04-16-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    Die before I could...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    China
    Posts
    67
    The picture I posted seemed to have been compressed by the forum so the paper looks rougher than the original one.

    -------

    edit: I get it. It'll look better if you click the picture and open the original one.
    Last edited by yotex; 04-16-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    Die before I could...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •