ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with saving anyone for help?

Problem with saving anyone for help?

Hello I installed the program two days ago and when I made my first painting I realized that I could not save it. A window emerged indicating an error, so i closed the program without saving the picture. Does anyone have an idea? I have windows xp home. Thank you.

Hello,

Try launching ArtRage, then making a single stroke on the canvas and saving. Then please let me know the following:

-What version of ArtRage you are using ( Help -> About ArtRage )
    -The steps you are going through to save in as much detail as possible
    -If there is an error message, what is the exact text of that message.
    -What is the last thing you do just before the error occurs
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Between northern Idaho and southern Mexico
    Having a similar problem with "Save As..."

Attached is the error message I get:

All help appreciated!

--Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

With respect to the above problem, I am using a different file name, although not a different location.

Can you tell me what you are doing when you see this error message? It looks like a file open message rather than a save as message.

Please let me know:

- Exactly how you saved the file in as much detail as possible
    - The location you saved it to and the filename you used.
    - What version of ArtRage you're using
    - Was your system shutting down at the time you saved?

If you save a file via File -. Save as to your desktop, do you have a similar problem, or does this work okay?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Can you tell me what you are doing when you see this error message? It looks like a file open message rather than a save as message.

Please let me know:

- Exactly how you saved the file in as much detail as possible
    - The location you saved it to and the filename you used.
    - What version of ArtRage you're using
    - Was your system shutting down at the time you saved?

If you save a file via File -. Save as to your desktop, do you have a similar problem, or does this work okay?
    Version 3.5.4, running under Lion.

I tried to Save Painting As... to the same location as the original--which, naturally, was open at the time--but with a new filename. The system was not shutting down at the time. Saving as... to the desktop works fine.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info.

Did the new filename you originally attempted to 'save as' include any slashes?
    I imagine the location you were trying to save to originally was on your local machine rather than a network location, let me know if that's correct.
    If you try to save to the location which originally had the problem, do you still see this error message?
    I assume the error message is occuring directly at the time you're using save as, is that correct?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for the info.

Did the new filename you originally attempted to 'save as' include any slashes?
    I imagine the location you were trying to save to originally was on your local machine rather than a network location, let me know if that's correct.
    If you try to save to the location which originally had the problem, do you still see this error message?
    I assume the error message is occuring directly at the time you're using save as, is that correct?
    The original file is called Kraken 4.ptg. I tried to save it as Kraken 5.ptg to the same local folder. Worked fine using that name to the desktop. Also tried Kraken 6.ptg to the local folder, but got the error message directly upon attempting the Save as. Yes, it's repeatable. And it happened before and after quitting and restarting AR.

Thanks for that. If you can save to other locations but not that folder, then the problem is most likely either related to the file path or a permissions problem in OS X.

Check that there are no slashes in the full file path, that would definitely cause a problem. Please tell us the name of the folder you're saving to and the full path it's in.

In case it relates to a permissions problem it may be worthwhile doing a permissions check and repair, but before you do that, please let us know the information above.

EDIT - Updated information.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks for that. If you can save to other locations but not that folder, then the problem is most likely either related to the file path or a permissions problem in OS X.

Check that there are no slashes in the full file path, that would definitely cause a problem. Please tell us the name of the folder you're saving to and the full path it's in.

In case it relates to a permissions problem it may be worthwhile doing a permissions check and repair, but before you do that, please let us know the information above.

EDIT - Updated information.
    Ok, it was apparently that the folder names in the file path had slashes. Changed them to dashes and all appears to be well.

Question: I've never had this problem with any other program, and I've used slashes, primarily for dates, for...well, decades, actually. It's an easy fix, but curious as to why AR has a problem with slashes. Is it strictly a Mac version thing?

Many thanks for straightening me out, Dave!

--Tim