ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Canvas texture issue

Canvas texture issue

Hi all

Please forget about my last query - i think this was happening because I had imported the linework as an image but not onto its own layer.

I am now having a slightly different problem - when I import an image file containing some linework I want to use I now import onto new layer. I am setting blending mode to multiply so the white areas are ignored and the paint beneath will show through.....unfortunately though when the image comes in it seems to be duplicating the canvas texture so that the canvas appears darker than it did previously. If I use the eraser on the new linework's layer it erases this darker canvas area to reveal the original canvas below, but obviously it wouldn't be practical/desirable to rub out all the white areas between the linework!

The attached PDF should show what I mean - if you look to the edge of the linework you can see how the canvas is lighter outside of the linework's layer. Basically the areas I want to leave white are going to be darker because of the darker canvas texture.

Sorry for the lengthy/less than clear explanation, but hopefully there is a simple solution!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Could you possibly email me the image you're importing to support@artrage.com? I have some ideas, I'd just like to make sure I'm on the right track.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Dave

I had another look at this and it is just one canvas texture now. The 'difference' I am seeing is just the white of my imported image which is different from the colour of the canvas beneath. I didn't realise that 'multiply' would allow the paint below to show through but not hide the shade of white between the linework.

By using the magic wand tool I can select these areas - is there a 'delete selection' tool or would you need to go over all the areas with the eraser tool?

Thanks

Ben

Dave

I had another look at this and it is just one canvas texture now. The 'difference' I am seeing is just the white of my imported image which is different from the colour of the canvas beneath. I didn't realise that 'multiply' would allow the new colour paint you apply below to show through, but not hide the shade of white between the linework.

By using the magic wand tool I can select these areas and then 'clear' them using the edit menu.

I guess the multiply blend still helps as you would be sure to get some white remaining around the linework.

Thanks

Ben

Is your background pure white?

Check the white of your imported image. I don't think it's pure white. In the attached image, on the new imported layer on top of the canvas, the left side of the canvas is pure white (RGB 255,255,255). The right side of the image is about a 2-3% gray (RGB 250,250,250). The layer is set to multiply. In the upper right corner of the image I used the eraser to wipe away the not pure white image. This seems to be exactly what you're describing. Check your line art in an image editing program to make sure the background is really white.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mikecur; 02-24-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Quick update on this in case anyone has a similar problem:

The image being imported to the layer had a white background, wheras ArtRage's default canvas colour is off white. Changing the canvas colour ( view -> Canvas settings ) to white removed the visible border between the imported image and the canvas.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design