Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Barn

Thanks Neal.. so glad you like it I was trying to use my abstraction skills on a "typical landscape" subject..

Caesar.. thanks mate...always appreciate you checking in on my efforts.

Love the red barn
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

This is awesome! I want to hang it in my kitchen! Your work just amazes me
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

First off, let me say this is pretty cool as a new direction. But I'm going to take you to task just a little.

I like it. Just there is something I want to point out right off, if I may. I think looking to follow a format is leading you more than you making a picture. It's a little like trying to talk with an accent. It can be spotted by anyone who actually speaks in that dialect because there are always tell tale sounds that slip back to your normal accent. And it feels awkward.

Were I not aware of your attempt to incorporate Expressionism, I probably wouldn't have had that brought to mind. But since you revealed that, I will comment more generally about taking on a style.

What are you expressing with your Expressionism? I think that's the question to be asking yourself when taking on a style that is anchored in the history of Art as being about suffering (like playing the Blues).

Using the forms is fair enough, but so long as you are, select based on something other than the visual bending and distorting. I mean for the average commercial Joe, that's plenty, but you're aiming deeper than that, Gary.

So if you are making a comment on the demise of the private farmer with agri-business pushing the little guy into ruin, that's one spin. If it's an attempt to do a quaint rural scene with a little Chagall tossed into your normal style, that's another. And the questions go on from there, questions which you can ask yourself after the first couple paintings in this direction, seeing where they're pointing.

On the visual only side of things, I think the way you've distorted is inconsistent throughout the painting. And that's fine if it's intentional. But I would offer that you might want to look at the way you are moving things around the canvas. I know the Expressionists are not known for rhythmic consistency, but it's something you may want to consider sooner or later. Regardless of where you're going with your evolution, it lends a level of expertise to the mix. . . unless it is one of those rules that you want to break. Not having it as a quality of one's work is a harder sell though IMHO.

Anyway, these are some of my thoughts on where you are right now and where you are looking. I am as ever offering this for your consideration only.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Not counting the barn, I see at least two other expressive faces and figures ...
    xiěy, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

D Akey... thanks my friend for the comments and insightful observations... implying that there was an Expressionistic bent to this was probably a bit of sloppy art history on my part more than anything .

This particular work started and stopped in several directions and it was a REAL struggle. so much conficting feelings and this sat around for several days with me not know what I was really trying to do.. ( usually I have a very clear idea or concept ).. so in the end I kind of stuck some lipstick on this pig and tried to make it bend into a quasi Chagall type work, which in the end did give me some ideas to work with. You certainly picked up on the conflict and the inconsistent nature of this work.. I wish I had a better explanation but hey sometimes you head one way with a painting and things spin out of control.. ( atleast for me that can happen ).. so you gave me much to mull over and I appreciate that ..

Hey, fair enough. That's part of the creative process.

You might, for fun sometime, try plotting a rhythm to this kind of broad subjective painting ahead of time and see what happens (like a sketch artist will do a quick couple lines for action and proportion). You are doing that some with your geometric work to some degree already. And you can probably see where it has been very successful.

One of the things that comes to mind in looking at this pic that may have held it together a little more is the idea of dropping some ink into a glass of water and how the clouds of color pattern out. That's merely one little possibility of how things can swirl about for a curving, billowy compositional spine to construct a pic around. But it's merely a thought.

Mechanically to get specific and as a point of awareness, I would recommend that you be mindful of creating arrow shapes within your pic that quickly eject the eye from the canvas. The sorta loud red barn is doing it pointing to the upper left, and there is that blue wedge in the middle pointing off and down as well.

All that being said, there is a heck of a lot of very cool stuff going on in this picture. I really like the color and marks are very cool. I like the variety. And it has a bit of a sparkly quality to it. So my comments are merely observations like weather balloons. And weathermen have been known to be laughably wrong.

Anyway, very groovy stuff.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I might have called this painting "Van Gogh on the road to Villa R"
    :-)
    xiěy, n. freehand brushwork, spontaneous expression
    Artrage Gallery
    / Leaning Tree Ink Studio

chinapete... LOL.. and I think that would be a much more fitting title !.. thanks for both your comments

Enjoy your art

I have enjoyed looking at many of your abstract paintings. I appreciate the color and design.