ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A comparison of chalks AR vs Painter

Gallery
    View images

A comparison of chalks AR vs Painter

I couldn't resist doing this experiment. No I'm not trying to stir up a nasty debate. I was just curious. First the means of getting Painter to respond to the texture of the grain version of the concrete image is more complex to achieve and I was forced to paint directly on the canvas layer. I imagine these painter hurdles can be overcome with further exploration, although in the end I ask myself -why bother? I have attempted to do this in an unbiased manner giving Painter a fair shot. Here are the results for you to judge.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    I shouldn't comment. (really, I shouldn't).

But....

The ArtRage chalk looks like it's more part of the scene - as though the chalk is actually there. The Painter chalk looks like a digital afterthought - it's a floating composite above the scene.

There. I've said it.

I do have to stress though that we're not trying to be a competitor to Painter. We're a different tool, with different emphasis. Compare our cut'n'paste to Painters. :wink:
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Andy for your candor. I am not so much attempting to have a go at painter, which has been popular for good reason, I want instead to celebrate what you have accomplished with AR. I imagine my enthusiasm will eventually settle but at the moment I'm bursting to share the joy.

Be Well,

Fashmir
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images

painter

I presumed that you are talking about Corel Painter. Not having seen this programme, I downloaded a trial version. The package looks very impressive and can do a whole raft of things, but first thoughts are that it is not for me. I much prefer the interface that is ArtRage.

Gallery
    View images
    Hmm, a take on the Painter versus Photoshop "discussions" found on other forums (conceptart, sijun etc). They are different tools, certainly, but one can't help but love ArtRage for its simplicity, pleasure, simple (and effective) user interface, speed, and joy to use.

Given these two examples I'd choose the AR one as the better one. But it's a subjective ruling I'd put forward as well.

Admitedly, I use Painter IX and Photoshop as well (mostly doing abstracts these days) but for sheer fun and UI ease nothing beats ArtRage.

With regards to Painter, I've always felt that its greatest strength was that it emulated natural media wonderfully, and that its greatest weakness is that it emulates natural media wonderfully. I'm used to painting with large 3-4" brushes on large canvas and Painter has never allowed me to make big enough brushes without slowdowns. Photoshop works better for this, but ArtRage is far too much fun to compare ... :wink:

I'll post some AR work soon.

Finally, it is a pleasure to be here and to join these forums. Some of the gallery posting are simply wonderful.
    DaveyJJ --> artspin.com | widgetmonkeys.com | 729design.com
    "Inside each one of us is an artist ... a child who has never lost the gift of looking at life with curiousity and wonder." Arthur Lismer

Gallery
    View images
    Really, ArtRage is a different tool to Painter. We're not trying to be Painter - our focus is on different things.
    We're certainly happy to co-exist in your toolkit!
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    Really, ArtRage is a different tool to Painter. We're not trying to be Painter - our focus is on different things.
    We're certainly happy to co-exist in your toolkit!
    Actually, in the past (busy) month, I'm using Photoshop and ArtRage far, far, far more than Painter. I don't like Painter that much, it's, uh, almost too much tool. I'm almost at the point of removing Painter from my machine because if I wanted to work that hard at creating a piece of art that emulated natural media so much, I'd just break out some masonite and acrylics and get down to it.

ArtRage is like Studio Artist in that it simply a joy and tremendously fun to use (but ArtRage's UI and user "paradigm" are so happily far beyond SAs, apologies to John Dalton).

Like someone else said, there's just this cool feeling when you use ArtRage. It brings the play back into creating art. And isn't that what we're all here to do? :wink:
    DaveyJJ --> artspin.com | widgetmonkeys.com | 729design.com
    "Inside each one of us is an artist ... a child who has never lost the gift of looking at life with curiousity and wonder." Arthur Lismer

Gallery
    View images
    Funny thing is I happen to think exactly the same.

I've always also used Painter extensively in the past because of it's ability to smear and blend rather realistic compared to photoshop which treats colors on a more cold and zeros'-and-ones' way.

Painters' main problem is that it gets very slow on large canvas' while AR is amazingly fast in those big resolutions - almost Photoshop speed, even though the blends in AR are far beyond what photoshop provides you.

For this reason I primarily use AR as my main paint tool now while photoshop is used for precision work and color adjustments.

I still have Painter and use it if I can't seem to get an area to blend correctly. But then again, I even switch to AR1 occationally just to get my beloved palette knife back.

It's all about using the tools that works best for you in a give situation.

I don't care if AR ever gets similar tools to what Photoshop has. Actually I hope it doesn't since photoshop already provide excellent adjustment tools, and I would rather see that ARs' main focus stays within the field of userbility, speed and most of all... making painting fun. That is what AR does for me now. I can't ask of much more.

if u compare the price for similiar effects...and ar is very mini, easy to get hand on, suitable for all levels of users.

one is 400 USD. one is 20

lolololololol
    HAHAHA

Gallery
    View images
    I thought Corel Painter 9.5 was 250$... Photoshop CS2 retails in stores for 650$........... OUCH!