ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: drop shadows

drop shadows

I just searched and read where I can make a drop shadow with ArtRage Pro. I have ArtRage Designer and I really need a drop shadow on my current painting. Is there any way to do it with my version?

If I go ahead and upgrade to Pro, won't I still be able to open this painting in it and add a drop shadow?

Thanks,
    pslane

Hi there,

Do you perhaps have 'Artrage Studio'? I didn't quite understand what version you're using there. You can check via Help -> About ArtRage.

If you have Studio, I can't think of a way to create a dropshadow. In Studio Pro, while we don't have a tool for automatic dropshadows as you paint, you could use the method below to apply a dropshadow.

For Studio Pro: ( I'd recommend downloading the demo from www.artrage.com/artrage-demos.html ), if you want to create a dropshadow for the contents of a layer, you can download a script from this thread here:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=35940

( Click the link at the bottom of the first post to download it ).

Then, select the layer in ArtRage you want to apply the dropshadow to and go to File -> Play Script and you will be presented with some options for creating the shadow.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Sorry, I meant to say ArtRage Studio. I am using this version for the first time and I'm loving it, so if I upgrade to Pro I will skip the trial. This is what I read about creating a drop shadow with AR Pro.

If this works, I want to upgrade and try it. This is a post by you, I believe on 09-26-2011 Does this work? Have you used this method?

(quote)
    When I tried this here, I wasn't able to see the problem you've illustrated, so could you please let me know the exact steps you went through after you applied the script, as this will be important in finding out what happened for you.

Also, are you using the latest version of Studio Pro? ( 3.5.3 ). If not, download and install the latest from the Member Area.

In the meantime, you can also create dropshadows for layer contents manually ( in the same way the script does ) via the following steps:

1/ Duplicate the layer you want to create a dropshadow for
    2/ Select the lower copy of the layer
    3/ Edit -> Adjust Layer Colours. Set the brightness slider all the way to the left and click OK
    3/ Edit -> Blur Layer. Blur the layer depending on how large you want the dropshadow
    4/ Right click the layer in the layer panel and choose 'transform layer contents'. Use your arrow keys to precisely move the dropshadow, or drag it into position. Press the enter key when done.
    5/ If your dropshadow is too dark, change dropshadow layer's opacity

No problem at all. That's correct regarding the quoted post. That's the manual way of doing it in ArtRage Studio Pro and I've used that myself. The script I mentioned in my previous post automates most of that as an alternative. If you uncheck 'merge result' when running the script, you'll be able to keep your dropshadow on a separate layer, much like the manual method. Either method can be used though, depending on which you prefer. I hope that helps!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Tell you the truth, I'm not very familiar with using scripts. If I download the script you gave me, then what do I do with it?

file> play script should work. double clicking the script should also open it in artrage studio.

Ignore the complex looking text in the post I linked you to, but click the link at the very bottom which downloads the script file ( dropshadow.arscript ). When you've done that, launch ArtRage Studio Pro and open the painting you want to edit. Select the layer you want to add the dropshadow to in the Layers panel.

Go to File -> Play Script. Open the dropshadow script file.

You'll see 'set script values'. Here you can set the dropshadow radius, opacity and offset. As an example, try radius 5, opacity 0.7 ( 70% ), shadow offset x 5, shadow offset y 5. Uncheck 'merge result' to keep the dropshadow on a separate layer and click OK. The dropshadow will now be automatically created for the layer you had selected.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

It worked! Thanks a bunch. I'll post it in the gallery.