ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Option to disable "Touch draw"

Exclamation Option to disable "Touch draw"

Hi !!

I'm using Artrage for a long time now and I have recently acquired a Samsung Slate tablet.
    It works with Wacom technology and drawing with the pen on the screen is a real pleasure !!
    I love to be able to move boxes, to zoom and to move the drawing with my fingers. Thanks Windows 7 MultiTouch !

But sometimes, I hit the screen with the palm of my hand when I up the pen out of the screen. So it draw an unwanted point or line...
    It would be nice to be able to use multitouch for actions like zooming, moving but to be able to only disable touch drawing too so that we can only draw with the pen.

Maybe there is already an option but I didn't see it.
    Do you think it would be possible on future releases ?

Thanks !!

My recent Wacom tablet with Multi-Touch support had an adjusment in it's drivers to switch on/off the detection of touches with one finger/two fingers/etc. separately. Don't know about Samsung Slate, but try seeing it's preferences and see if there's something alike.
    And no, you can't disable single touches in ArtRage. You can only disable the whole Multi-touch detection in program, but that will make you unable to move canvas/rotate it, etc.

Hi !

I doesn't have this option with my tablet.
    So it would be very nice in the next versions to have an option like "Disable touch & mouse drawing".
    Is there any developer here that can telle me if it is something possible ?

Thanks !

Some hardware will allow you to do that, but hardware that doesn't tends to send touch events as mouse events so it can be impossible for software to tell the difference. As a result, that option isn't likely to be included in ArtRage.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi !
    I am not sure to understand...
    What you say is that it is impossible by the software to make the difference between "stylus touch" and "mouse or touch events" ?
    Thx !

The operating system doesn't tell us whether an incoming event is a standard mouse type event or a touch event, so we can't tell the difference.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Ok for a mouse or touch event. But what about a pen event?

There's a lot of cross over between the different events. Basically, no, it's not possible for us to disable touch event input specifically.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

I own a Fujitsu TH700 which has both stylus and touch screen, and touch leaving dots and lines on canvas also annoys me. Currently I have to disable the touch function in Windows7 when I want to draw, and re-enabled it when I'm doing something else.

I think a solution would be having a option to disable mouse event on canvas while using pen or brush tool. There would be no need to distinguish between touch and mouse. After all, why paint with the mouse when you have a stylus? Tools that don't modify the canvas directly or that need precision such as selection or orientation could still react to mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    There's a lot of cross over between the different events. Basically, no, it's not possible for us to disable touch event input specifically.
    There really needs to be some way to do this. I'm constantly putting little smudges on my painting when panning and zooming. The gestures are powerful enough that I'm willing to try to keep track of them and undo them as I work, but it's a huge pain. What about pressure data? You're using the pressure data to do line thickness, yes? Couldn't you test for absence of pressure, and infer that this is a touch or mouse event rather than a pen one? Basically, it would be wonderful if everything but the pen data and panning and zooming with touch could be disabled. Any mouse clicks or touches just thrown out on the canvas. This wouldn't need to be the default mode, but having the option would make a big difference.
    Last edited by thegiffman; 02-24-2013 at 04:41 PM.