ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: New colour pickers

New colour pickers

I have researched into AR colour pickers before and figured out it is using HSV system rather than the popular HSB system in PS and SAI. The good thing is that if you have a black and white painting you can easily colour in with the right value.

Well it isn't a big problem though, but I always think the Tint/Tone picker in ArtRage is a bit weird. Normally in many other programs, white is on top and black is at the bottom, grays on the left. While Tint/Tone picker in AR is like 45 degree rotated and flipped.

My suggestion is that if it is possible to add a Painter-like triangle colour picker, or a standard square HSB colour picker?

We use HSL (LS/H picker in the curve). We considered the triangle picker but it lacks a pure grey which can be important when working with paint, so we set our tint/tone picker up to present that aspect of the colour shift as well, representing the pure colour, and its tints and tones.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Didn't quite get what you said. I thought if you raise the lower corner of the Tint/Tone picker up untill it's flat the result is just like a trangle picker. Isn't it?

The problem is that the grayscale is not linear in Tint/Tone picker (not in other HSL pickers as well). It's on two sides of a square so you would have to move your cursor like a NIKE tick. Using a triangle picker would certainly solve this problem.

Also I want to ask if it is possible to hide the Metalic colour slider? I understand that it's like a space filler when using the HSL picker UI. But When using the T/T picker and tear it off edge the Metalic colour slider looks relatively too big and... weird.

See image below.

Also maybe some UI changes..

--------------------------------
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	未标题-1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	260.8 KB 
ID:	64152  

Triangle pickers provide 3 pure colours in general: Pure hue, black, and white. The Tint/Tone picker has 4 corners so provides 4 pure colours, Pure hue, black, white, and pure 50% grey. If we raised the grey corner until it's flat you would get a triangle picker, but less instant access to pure tones, so we would be reducing functionality. To get pure grey, just stick to the edge of the picker: Left corner -> bottom corner = black to mid grey. Bottom corner -> right corner = mid grey to white.

The metallic slider is still an active control when the tint/tone picker is visible. Metallicity of the colour behaves independently of the HLS values chosen so it should remain there when the tint/tone picker is being used, it's not just there to fill space.

Regarding borders: They need to be that large to ensure that people can click them easily. We have a lot of people using stylus or touch devices that are not completely accurate, a 24 pixel minimum is applied to most of our controls to assist in use in these cases.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

It is understandable that the Presets menu wants to keep that width because the Settings menu has the same width. And the reason why the Settings menu has that width is because two half-circle slider bars would take that much place.

I have attached a picture showing my UI suggestions. It is just showing the possibilities of making palette shorter and slimmer to save screen space. Didn't change the 24-pixel rule as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	未标题-1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	64187  

I just right-click the menu bar on palettes I find too large and scale them to 75%. Its an awesome feature that you can do this with just one or two palettes and don't have to scale the UI as a whole.

With windows 8 going 'touch first' the interface is great as is for being touch friendly.
    Last edited by Juz; 02-19-2012 at 07:56 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

The settings panel retains the standard wider panel width the app uses in order to allow for the stacking of multiple dials in horizontal space. Only allowing one dial horizontally would lead to panels that are too tall to be feasible on many screens.

Changing its width in cases where there is only one dial would lead to annoyance when switching tools (eg. you've positioned the panel so that it looks fine against your screen with only one dial across, you change to a tool that has two, and suddenly you need to reposition the panel).

Fixed width allows for one-step positioning without needing to worry about it later.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.