ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: New member questions

New member questions

Hello, I just registered and for now, all I have is a limited free version of ArtRage. I've been playing around with it and have run into problems. If I am going to buy the full version, I'd like to learn all I can about this version before I do.

I was painting flower petals and I chose a light pink. When I made a few brush strokes, the color changed to a dark color, all on it's own. Then it refused to stay light pink after that. Is this a problem with my free version or what? Is there a way to lock the color in?

Question 2: I have a pen/tablet which I use quite a bit. I notice that when I did try and use the mouse, it would not make a solid line. Is there a setting for using the mouse?

I hope I can master this and go on to the full version. Thanks for any help you can give me.

do you know what tool you are using? it would help to know what tool you are using. It is not normal for the paint to change color on its own. are you going over a pencil sketch?
    you can always sample your original pink with an alt > click to get back to pink.
    not sure of any tools that change the paint color.
    maybe you could show an example of a stroke that changed color. that might help determine what is happening.

Welcome to the forums!

Can you tell us what free version of ArtRage are you using? ( Check Help -> About ArtRage if unsure )

Could you give us as much information about the steps you went through when painting the flower petal painting as possible? Were you using a tracing image at the time?

What tool were you using when you used the mouse?

Posting an example image of what you're seeing could be useful, you can find some instructions on how to attach images to your posts here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5

I can also help you directly if you email me at support@artrage.com
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Okay, I just opened a new canvas, chose a color, the oil paint brush and the color I chose worked fine. The canvas that I had problems with was my first attempt at trying out the tracing feature. When I try painting using the tracing paper feature, that's when the color will change with each petal I paint. I'll try painting without the tracing paper again and see if it continues to keep the color. Thanks.

The likely reason your colour is changing is because you are using a tracing image and have the option for automatically selecting the colour turned on.

To turn it off in either version of ArtRage: Click on the colour picker where it says 'using trace image, click for normal colour' in order to choose colours manually yourself.

For more information, I'd recommend the section 'the tracing image' in the ArtRage manual accessible via Help -> ArtRage Manual, or Help -> ArtRage Help.

if you have any further questions, please let us know which version of ArtRage you're using, as this will help us to give specific instructions ( the different versions vary a bit in how they work ). I hope this helps.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thank you, I will try that. But I'd like to let you know that I just purchased ArtRage Studio from the ArtRage website after reading more about it. My main concern was the use of layers. I'm glad to see layer management in ArtRage Studio because this little freebie version doesn't seem to have it.

I think I may like this and you will probably see more of me as I learn.

my first response was the tracing image, but after I read you chose a pink color, I thought well that can't be using tracing colors then. funny. I should have stuck with my instincts. Dave knew what it was right away. thanks Dave.
    Pslane, glad you got it figured out enjoy painting with your new software and welcome to forums.