ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Catastrophic crashing over and over again

Catastrophic crashing over and over again

Hi. I love ArtRage and how simple the interface is. I'm traditionally a Photoshop user, but I often entertain at events doing live digital caricatures, and ArtRage is almost perfect in it's UI for that.

When performing, I do an ink line drawing and then a watercolor layer beneath that. And sometimes I have the client's logo on another layer on top. Each live drawing takes about 6 or 7 minutes. I export each file as a .jpeg, send it to the printer using Bluetooth, and then open up my master .ptg file with the original layers set up to start a new painting. I usually do this again and again for 4 hours at a time. Often I can go a couple hours without any problem. But then, the entire system will crash, and I get the blue screen of death/physical memory dump. And then once Windows comes back online, I might be able to do a drawing or two before it crashes yet again. Or it will work, but the watercolor strokes lag far far behind my cursor and it works very slowly.

I have determined that the crashes usually happen after I have just sent a painting to the printer, and then I try to open up my master .ptg file to start a new painting. Usually, if I wait for the print to finish printing before opening a new file, it won't crash. But that doesn't always hold true, and anyway it is not a feasible solution for me because I often have a line of people waiting to get drawn live on the floor of a trade show.

-I am using the full purchased version of ArtRage 3.5.4

-I am operating on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 on a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop with 4GB of RAM and Intel Duo Core Processor

-Also, I am drawing on a Cintiq 12wx, while splitting the video signal from my VGA port to an additional 24" external monitor, which allows the guests to watch me draw live.

-I should mention that my laptop's battery is shot, and I am getting notices to replace it. But I always have it plugged in while working, so it hasn't been a priority.

-If I had to venture a guess as to what may be causing the OS to crash, it might be the fact that I am printing over Bluetooth to a small mobile printer. The files are not that large (8 x 10" at 150ppi), and well under 1MB each. But perhaps the Bluetooth is getting overloaded and causing some kind of conflict? I have been trying for a couple hours at home trying to replicate the circumstances of the crashes, but of course, I cannot get it to crash. It only crashes when I am drawing publicly.

Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this or have any ideas how to prevent it?

Here is the Problem Signature report that I get when my system restarts. I don't know how to decipher these codes:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: d1
    BCP1: 00000028
    BCP2: 00000002
    BCP3: 00000000
    BCP4: 96E5318C
    OS Version: 6_0_6002
    Service Pack: 2_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini013112-02.dmp
    C:\Users\Court\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-45911-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Users\Court\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1FB0.tmp.vers ion.txt

Blue screen problems are generally caused by driver or hardware issues. There's nothing in ArtRage that should be able to cause that kind of crash so it might be that you have an issue with your hard drive (perhaps the print job is causing an issue if a new file is created before it has completed) or some other driver on board.

I'd suggest making sure all of your drivers are up to date in case any of those are causing a problem. If that doesn't help, is there a way you can test printing without the bluetooth connection to see if it's a generic print issue?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thank you for the reply, Matt. I went ahead and did system scans, checked the disk for errors, cleaned up old data, and updated drivers, including the printer drivers, even though they all said that I had the most current versions in all cases.

And to be extra safe, I decided to use only a USB printer cable when printing the artworks, rather than using the bluetooth connection.
    I recently drew caricatures on ArtRage at another day-long live event and I didn't have any blue screen crashes thankfully. Although my computer frequently lost communication with the printer. A quick unplugging and re-plugging of the USB printer cable re-established the connection. I can live with that more than I can the constant system crashes.

And it's great to know that I can continue to use ArtRage in this capacity and that it most likely wasn't the direct cause of the crashes.