ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Any thoughts on master course?

Any thoughts on master course?

I am trying to take a master course, something like illustration and computer arts. I had my BA in graphic design and now I really want to explore the drawing side of me, so I want to work more on digital painting and concept art. I did some researches online, it seems many UK students are not happy with their art education in the UK- it's too contemporary. Some people do not agree with these students because "life drawing class is always there, you are just too lazy to go".

From my experience, yes there is life drawing class in my uni but only animation students have it. Even illustration students don't. In general year foundation course, the tutor said I was 'too good' at tradional drawing and I should try something more contemporary so she could give me high grade on 'having creative thought'. I asked them some questions about colours but they couldn't answer. I asked for more IT/CAD teaching but the feedback was 'university is not the place to teach you technique skills'... In a word, it was quite frastrating, for not able to get what you paid for.

Having life drawing class doesn't mean you'll instantly become a good traditional artist- you also need people who are really good at it to guide you. It's like owning a car doesn't mean you can drive it. Also I don't want them to tell me "your should be more contemprory". Why? Because that way you can teach me? Art education should be, in my opinion, respecting your need and value and helping improve the skill you want.

Enough talk about my old stories. My point here is that I really, really want to learn some real stuff (you know what I mean) in my master course. I don't want to splat some ink and say it's art anymore. Many of you are not living in the UK and many haven't yet had master course as well, but if you know any good master courses in the UK please share your thoughts. I thank you for that.

edit: sorry, duh missed the first line. that said you are looking for a drawing class.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 02-04-2012 at 02:00 AM.

But I don't think he's particularly interested in the marketing perspective of a masters. Seemed like he wanted to know more about actual painting/drawing/etc. and not about how to get a job doing that stuff, and that he was having a hard time just finding a program where he could get some help learning how to control media and really paint.... as a fine artist, rather than a graphic artist.

thanks Steve. you are right. I was mistaken. he is looking for a school to take a master course.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 02-04-2012 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by screenpainter View Post
    hey Steve. thanks for weighing in. we've actually talked quite a bit on deviant art about what his teachers tell him ie: get more contemporary and giving him kind of a run around. he's originally from China. we've talked a lot actually. he's quite good at the fantasy art stuff, but they are telling him to get contemporary which is kind of vague. so there is some background to our discussion. we've had a few discussions.
    Well I get what you mean, GZ. In fact both of my parents were art lovers but didn't end up doing art. They were in the age of Chinese revolution back then. Both of them obtained high score in exams so they were convinced to study something else that fit their intelligence ability better. They thought someday they could go back doing art again when everything's over, but... they never did for various reasons.

It really depends on how you see this story. They got married and made enough money, that's good. From another point of view, not able to pursue what they wanted is quite sad. My dad actually did better artwork than me in my age.

I know I love art, I know I am good at it and I know what I am going to learn. It's just a question of 'where to learn'. I know quite a few good unis in the States but I can't afford. I am not sure about UK unis because they kinda all feel the same (see my thread above)...

So far AUCB (the one in Bournemouth) seems quite good. It's university ranking is not high but somehow made 'top 10 digital art schools', even better than ACCD. So I am applying for their course, and hopefully get a few other options?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    But I don't think he's particularly interested in the marketing perspective of a masters. Seemed like he wanted to know more about actual painting/drawing/etc. and not about how to get a job doing that stuff, and that he was having a hard time just finding a program where he could get some help learning how to control media and really paint.... as a fine artist, rather than a graphic artist.
    Hey Steve, that's exactly what I mean. I was always amazed to see how unis in the States give lectures on figure drawing (like Vilppu)..
    An atlier course might be another option but it doesn't provide certificate etc.