ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Scarab

Scarab

had to get out of my dark pallet for a bit and stick to the bright and warm..hope you enjoy a bit of brightness..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scarab.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	517.0 KB 
ID:	63526  

If you picket, it'll never heal. . . <--- Local 9999
    Sorry, scab humor. You know these crypt kicker translations are tough.

How do you spell 'scarab'? i.e. What's it mean to you? How does that question influence your making a painting? Many jazz musicians have names for numbers where the connection to it was perhaps only at the seminal stage for an idea whereupon they go off into jazz land. To me, it's not unlike a Native American Indian baby getting named based on what is the first animal that the mom sees after the baby's birth. And seeing a human named Running Deer or something may not be so visible why.

I can clearly see a scarab in this as a motif for design. Wondering what else you were layering into it and does it have a connection with a scarab? And how 'scarab' serves your process. Do you hold the conscious intent of the subject or are you using it as a springboard and going off on whatever painting process you get into?

Just curious about your process.

When I think of 'scarab' I think of ancient Egypt and pharaohs and mantles and sarcophaguseseseses which have lots of shiny gold designed around the regal priestly symbols.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

D Akey...LOL... your crypt-ic humor..cracks me up..

This painting the title, indeed the colors selected and motif was a result of reading a gift book I got ..a book and CD called "Full Color Egyptian Ornament ".. that has a couple of hundred ancient patterns and and images from that time.... so that was the springboard.. although I imposed my own mark making on it.. the golds, yellows, red browns and greenish blue pallet and royal blue border was assimilated from those images...
    Last edited by gxhpainter2; 01-29-2012 at 09:40 AM.