ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Erasing with tools

Erasing with tools

Want to use a tool as an eraser. I thought I had read in a post how to do this but cannot find it again. In other words lifting color out with different tools.
    Thank you, Penny

I found the article I was looking for, however in artrage there is not a clear setting in blend mode, any suggestions? Article below

Here’s a little quickie that many people don’t think about.
    If you like to use your current brush and erase with it, it’s annoying to have to switch to the eraser and then pick the same brush from the brushes palette, or create duplicate of all your brushes set to erase.
    Just switch your brush blending mode to “Clear” and voila, now you’r erasing with your current brush. A quick shortcut to change brush blending mode to clear is control+shift+r and then control+shift+n to go back to normal mode. You can also flip through the blending modes with control+shift and then use plus and minus keys to scroll through the modes. This works with layer blend modes to, just make sure you have to move tool selected. (v)

My understanding is that this is not a feature that Artrage currently has. What you've cut and paste looks like from an article about Painter perhaps. In Artrage, I don't there are options. I suppose you could try painting with white (or whatever the color of your canvas is), but you're going to have issues with blending, etc. Perhaps others have better suggestions?

Steve is correct. ArtRage doesn't allow for the tools (not counting the actual eraser) to act as an eraser. When I first started using ArtRage, I thought I'd miss that feature, from my familiarity with PhotoShop, but I quickly found that I didn't need it as much as I thought I would.

There are work arounds, of course. You could use the Water color tool, with it's Thinners and Color Bleed, set to 100%. This would make the tool push the color away, fairly cleanly. You could also use the eraser tool over a textured stencil. You could also create a new layer, and use it as a sort of mask. Just use your tool of choice to block out the areas you want to remove on a newly created layer, and then select that layers contents (edit > Select layer contents). You could then use that selection to clear the selected painted areas from the original layer.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.