ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: New AR user

Talking New AR user

Just bought and used my ArtRage. Today, they finally sent the serial number so I could actually open the product. Oh well.

My question for now is how well does Bamboo Pen and Touch work with this and is that what you all use?

I am new to using Bamboo tablets as well. All new to me! I'm a traditional artist that has never used techie stuff before today. Wow, I'm so behind the times. Now I can try to catch up.

Welcome Jean.
    You will find a lot of kindred spirits in here, including myself. I was forced to make the move to digital art about ten years ago because of work pressure, but am now very glad I did. It was all watercolours and ink line for me for about twenty years before that (yep - old fart talking).

My original tablet was far less capable than a Bamboo and yet it made all the difference to my transition. Just play with the painting and drawing tools you are used to in the real world first, to get a handle on how working digitally differs. Play with the controls in the 'settings' palette to see how it affects the look and feel of each.

If you've never used layers before, just leave them alone for the moment and work on one layer only. There's plenty of time to discover the megalomaniac control they can give you.

I would suggest you learn the shortcut 'keystrokes' to make navigating round your image quicker and easier though. It makes a big difference to the digital painting experience and will soon become second nature. They are listed in the built in manual. Might be an idea to print the relevant pages out and have them to hand to begin with - just a thought.

There are a ton of mini tutorials and advice to be had in the'technical' section of the forum - particularly 'Tips and Tricks', obviously. Also never be afraid to ask about stuff. The folk here are very friendly and helpful and I hope you'll soon feel right at home.

Enjoy.
    Cheers,
    Nick
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

I have been using the same tablet that you have right now for as long as I've had Artrage. I love it, it works great and has enough weight and texture to feel somewhat like a pen or pencil. So it felt comfortable in my hand. I started out as a traditional artist, but was dabbling with Photoshop until I found AR... This program was exactly what I was looking for.

The price compared to some of the other tablets was what kept me at that tablet versus going bigger or better. Comparing them all, it didn't seem (to me anyway) that the jump in prices to the next one up wasn't worth the money that was being asked for it.

This one is cost effective and suits my needs. I'll use it till I wear it out.

welcome. I use an old graphire 6x8 wireless tablet that has to stay wired now. I went on Wacom site and apparently they no longer make a Touch? The new ones look cool, but wow have they got their prices up there these days when you try to go up in size. I think my next one will be the smallest Intuos or the largest Bamboo.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 01-26-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Welcome Jean!!!!
    I have used the 1st edition of wacom bamboo, is fantastic for the beginners, almost half of my gallery was created with this graphics tablet
    //
    Stefano Fiore - Rome/Italy (Misterpaint)
    // Tablet Wacom Intuos 4 Medium- XP SP3
    // My Portfolio: http://www.stefanofiorearte.com
    // 3D Art Gallery for all artists (my web project) http://www.grifioartgallery.com

The way it tends to work with tablets, as long as we're talking quality Wacom products here, is that you'll always be happy as long as you're upgrading, but you cant go back once you do.

If you're going from using a mouse to a small low end introductory tablet, once you're past the transitional learning period (takes a bit of adjustment), you'll be happy with the new way or working it opens up for you, and you'll learn to work within its limitations.

But you will never regret upgrading to a higher end tablet, either. Once you go to a higher quality model, you will love the increased responsiveness and features. If you do a lot of this sort of work, it's the portal through which you will interact with all your tools, and you will never feel like the extra quality was not worth the money, once you are used to it.

The "sweet spot" for tablet size is medium for most people. While you can certainly fucntion perfectly well with a smaller tablet as long as you're not used to something bigger, few people ever regret moving up to a medium size once they do. It does make a difference in comfort level and breathing room, and the kind of detail you can easily work on.

The only exception here is with the largest tablets, which some people find too unwieldy to be comfortably used in their workspace, or with their work style. I personally love larger tablets, but they're the only situation where I've ever seen someone willingly "downgrade" to a medium size after working with a more expensive tablet.

So yes, just starting out, I think you'll be perfectly happy with that choice. If you decide you like the experience and want to do more of this sort of work, you will be perfectly happy upgrading as well, and it is never a waste of money.
    Last edited by ScottC; 02-04-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    Hearts of Space
    The only thing I put in my ears while working.