ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Shack" - my second painting

"Shack" - my second painting

So, I took another break from work to paint, hoping to improve on my technique a bit. This is my second painting, and I learned alot from the process. As such, my shading technique varies from area to area as I figured out better techniques as I went along. I realize that means inconsistency in technique will probably be apparent, but that's okay, this is a learning piece "just for fun" like the last one. I gotta say, I'm loving the painting process quite a bit - and am wondering how close ArtRage is to using real paint on a real canvas, and if the techniques I'm developing/discovering as I go will translate well to "real world" painting. (Anyone?)

In any case, for those of you that posted on my first painting (the duck at http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=38499), thank you for the comments & crits. As with that piece, comments and criticisms are welcome and encouraged.

Anyhoo... hope ya like! ...now to figure out what next to paint. Kinda stumped on that one. Might need a short break to recharge a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shack_small.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	63394  

I like this a lot, great job on that big ole tree, you are doing just fine

very nice work.. your tree is exceptional.. the layering of grasses, ivy and trees makes for a nice composition.. and the red/white shack add dramatic color and form to the scene...

Thank you both very much. I still can't get over how relaxing and fun it is. I shouldve started painting years ago... oh well. lol

Beautiful work
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

looking good! I like what you've done here. Translating to the real world is hard to say.
    For me, digital is much easier I reckon because I have much more experience in digital. The fact you can use a color picker and "undo" is what makes digital much easier IMO. However, digital is just pixel dust so converting it to the "real world" could be an issue, but I've always thought I'd cross that bridge if I came to it. After all I just do this for fun.
    If you try real watercolor for example you can do it dirt cheap just to see if you like it. Good luck.
    Last edited by jibes; 01-24-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

It is wonderful ! U make this newbie look pretty pitiful , but also give me hope. Yes , u should have been painting for years!

WOW - what a great painting! I love the fact that it looks so real but also shows that it is NOT a photograph but rather a painting. well done!
    >>> MSIE's ArtRage Gallery <<<

"It's a living growing mutating art sculpture painting synthesis." (quote screenpainter)

Thanks so much, mannafig, jibes, shibui, and MISE. I appreciate the comments. jibes, you're right in that digital painting offers undo, and a handy dandy color picker... and that definitely feels like "cheating", lol. Aside from those obvious productivity "cheats", I'm wondering if the actual technique used is the same, or if the process is so different that you just can't compare ArtRage to traditional media. The reason I ask is that my sister paints (with paint) and I *know* she's going to comment on digital art being somehow "inferior" because it's not "real paint". If this is a reasonably accurate similuation, then I can tell her with confidence that it's essentially the same thing - just less expensive. Anyhow... thanks again for the comments everyone.

Beautiful work with so much in it, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307