ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Problem with saving

Problem with saving

Hi there,

I'm completely new here. I have ArtRage Studio Pro and I just updated it to version 3.5.4. Now everytime I want to close the program or load another Painting it says that I didn't save my changings and is asking my to save them - even if I DID save my changings just before and even if I didn't make any changings. Does anyone else have this problem and knows how to solve it?

Thanks a lot,

Sunn

Hi Sunn,

What operating system are you using?

What happens if you launch ArtRage Studio Pro, paint a stroke, choose 'save' from the file menu and enter a file name and click the save button, then go to File -> New Painting?

When I try this here I am not prompted to save, I'd just like to check what your process is with saving.

If this works, can you give me an example of a process with specific steps which is showing the problem for you. If you were to click on the canvas at any point this is counted as 'dirtying' the canvas, so the save prompt would appear when you tried to create a new painting.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi Dave,

I use Windows 7 Home premium 64bit.
    Artrage is asking me to save even if I didn't touch the canvas. When I open Artrage and wait some minutes just doing nothing and then load a painting to continue working I get the saving message. When I do so as you described it is also the same. The message does not appear when I open the program and directly click on new painting/load painting. It does appear everytime when I just saved the painting and then want to close the program or load another painting.

Thanks a lot,

Sunn

Hi Sunn,

It looks like ArtRage will prompt you to save if you launch it and do nothing then create a new file. Otherwise though, I can't duplicate the behaior you're describing here, I don't get the save prompt when I perform the steps above, and I also don't get it when I save a file then attempt to create a new painting.

When you say you save a painting, are you saving it via File -> Save Painting as an ArtRage painting ( PTG ) or are you exporting it as another format? If you are exporting it, then ArtRage will still prompt to save when you start a new painting. The reason for this is that exporting is not saving, it is saving a copy of the painting in a different format. The actual painting file hasn't been saved at that point, just a snapshot of it in a different format which won't include all of the proprietary data such as media thickness wetness and so on.

It's generally worthwhile saving your work in ArtRage's format as well as exporting, as this will give you a file you can go back to which includes all the layers and paint properties, making it easy if you want to make some modifications later.

If you are specifically using the Save option and saving your work as a painting file and still getting the problem, please email me directly at support@artrage.com with some exact steps including what you're clicking on and the messages you see as I'll need to do some more in depth troubleshooting with you.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

also worth noting that any slight change in artrage will give you a prompt to save.
    like making a mark and then undoing it or adding a layer and then removing the layer. though the painting appears the same and no visual change is apparent artrage will read it as a process that has changed something even though it was undone and has not visually changed the picture.

Hi Dave,

sorry for my late reply - had to work a lot this week and no time for painting.
    I've just sent you some screenshots to show whats happening in my ArtRage.

Thanks a lot for helping,

Sunn

Hi there,

I just got the answer from ArtRage support and I guess we found out
    where that save prompt comes from.
    Now I'm sure that it is my tablet device which is causing extra clicks on the canvas.
    When I saved and closed by using keyboard shortcuts I never
    got the save prompt again.
    I am using a Wacom Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch CTH-670/S medium.
    What's interesting is that this issue with the save prompt in ArtRage
    first appeared after I had updated it to the latest Version 3.5.4.0.
    Anyway - now I know where it comes from and how to avoid it.

Thank you so much for helping and great support - have a nice weekend,

Sunn

ah glad they solved it for you. thanks for letting me know too in case I ever see it come up again. That explains a lot.

Hi there,

just to let you know: I just updated the Wacom drivers for my device and that solved the problem perfectly. Now the save prompt does not appear anymore even if I use the stylus
    to close the program.

Once again - thank you guys.

Byebye,

Sunn