Thread: Request: Any way to save ArtRage files smaller?

Gallery
    View images

Request: Any way to save ArtRage files smaller?

Hello...

I'm wondering if there's a way that ArtRage can compress the files it generates? (It probably already does. But hey... I have to ask!)

I suppose this won't really be necessary when we live in the comng era of terrabyte harddrives. But right now, my tablet pc only has a 60 gig drive, and it's getting rather full.

I like to keep my pertinent layers unmerged, so that I can come back to any painting later and modify it if I choose to. And in a high-ish res (2500 x 2000) pic with several layers, I'm easily getting files around 100megs in size.

Any chance of an 'archive this file' button or something like that?

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    ArtRage uses RLE compression on its internal bitmaps - much the same way Photoshop 5 does.
    We used to use a higher form of compression with ArtRage 1, but file saves were taking a very long time with large images.

Note that in Windows XP you can create compressed folders (actually zip files using LZW compression) and work with them as though they were normal folders.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Andy. I kinda thought your answer might be in this territory.

The way I see it is that it's probably best for me to just note down thoughts as they pop up. If they're relevant and addressable, cool. If they're dealable with in hacks and workarounds, cool. If they're not dealable with at all, then hey... at least they've been expressed.

Cos I'm pretty sure you want to hear these things, even if they're fairly trivial.

Thanks for being such a responsive individual in such a responsive company. Rock and roll.

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    Oh yeah, absolutely. We take note of every suggestion. Even if we dont comment on them in the forums, we definitely still do take note.

Every so often we compile a list of every suggestions, and discuss them. If we think they're a good idea in keeping with ArtRage's design ideas, we'll put the suggestion on the 'road map' to go in a later release.

We absolutely and definitely want to hear any thoughts anyone has on improving ArtRage.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Andy, you might want to try the zlib compression methods-- you can tell it how "hard" to work at a given compression. On a scale of 1 to 9, your RLE work is probably equivalent processing to zlib 2. You could then see whether zlib 2 or zlib 3 gives better results (probably a LOT better).

royblumenthal, you should probably archive your older works offline. This is generally good practice anyway, with any sort of data. Once you're happy with a work, save the fully layered version on a DVD somewhere and consider a second copy stored carefully in a different place like your aunt's basement. Keep only a flattened version on your hard drive just to be able to show people quickly. Until you're doing that regularly, you're in serious risk of a single tiny chip in a single tiny ball-bearing destroying everything you've created over the past year(s).
    --
    [ e d @ h a l l e y . c c ] Japanese-themed tees and gifts