ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Green is the new purple? And other color mixing issues

1. Green is the new purple? And other color mixing issues

Little help with mixing colors please!

Don't know if it's my monitor, my brain or the program that is going wonky.

I'm mixing a red and blue and am always getting green with the real color blender option turned on. With it turned off, I get a very gray purple.

Also, when mixing two shades of burnt sienna, I get this strong red popping up when mixing with the real color blender.

Is this normal or do I need to go back and study color blending 101?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

The 'red' you're using there has a high yellow component, it's basically a darkened orange, so when that is mixed with the cyan it's getting lighter and the yellow and blue pigments are going green. If you reduce the yellow component of the red colour that should shift it more towards purple.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

3. Ok, tested that out and you're right. Makes sense. Thanks.

What's going on with the browns turning red though?

I get a bit of the red shift when I don't use real colour blending. It looks like it is due to the high red value of both of the colours mixing together. The lower blue and green values dip down as the two colours are combined.

The way the product works, if you have a single dot of red in there all the pigment on the canvas at that point is red, so if you blend over and over the same point you will see the colour shifting more extremely as you are effectively converting the volume of paint to a different colour. While this isn't completely realistic, the processing power required to track multiple levels of different colour at a single point would be prohibitive so it's a shortcut we have to take to make the application viable.

Bit of a technical explanation but I think that's what's happening here!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

5. That makes sense and will save my sanity some at least to know why it's doing that and to expect it. Thanks for your answer (and for your awesome program)!