ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A better blender?

A better blender?

I'm fairly new with ArtRage and I think it's a really great program, but I haven't found a single blending tool that I like. The Hard Wet Blender with the Palette Knife is nice, but I'm kind of sick of working in watercolour and wet tones; I couldn't get it to look smooth.

Can anyone do a nice simple blending tool that can be used to get smooth, elegant effects and blend colours rather than making it look wet or having that extremely incongruous knife trail?

Or am I just missing something in the program itself?

lol. if you find the hiden blending tool let me know i am not happy with it ether.

here are a couple wet blenders that are somewhat subtle that you might like. I used them with oil, water and felt pen on a watercolor or textured paper. I hope they are useful for blending.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I like those screenwriter, thanks. I'm getting used to the blending options in Artrage, and they are pretty good. What I'd really like to see in a further release though, in the spirit of painting the traditional way, is a decent blender that mimics a dry brush, no water ( my prefered blenders in AR use water, but that tends to dilute the colour beneath ) that will allow for a delicate and creamy controlled blend like you might use when painting in oils or acrylic ( for a more classical style of painting, not a looser impressionistic style )

Quote Originally Posted by SimonLeBonBon View Post
    I like those screenwriter, thanks. I'm getting used to the blending options in Artrage, and they are pretty good. What I'd really like to see in a further release though, in the spirit of painting the traditional way, is a decent blender that mimics a dry brush, no water ( my prefered blenders in AR use water, but that tends to dilute the colour beneath ) that will allow for a delicate and creamy controlled blend like you might use when painting in oils or acrylic ( for a more classical style of painting, not a looser impressionistic style )
    I know that the flat blender imo used to work better in ar 2.5 jmho.

have you tried these oil brushes for painting?
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=37627

I also use one of my felt pen presets quite often for blending in on like portraits. I use it a lot. called soft pastels or gz soft pastel. I use it in conjunction with another felt pen preset I came up with called art brush.
    I used those two together to do some pretty smooth bird feathers. I think you will like them. It's amazing how you can blend felt pen with oil and watercolor.
    Attached Files Attached Files

They do work well, thanks I'd still like that dry brush though, clean and unloaded, to allow me to blend in a traditional way. I'm sure it's very possible, considering the great brush engine there already is in place.

Check the texture of your canvas. That can have a bearing on the smoothness.