Thread: My first digital drawing and Painting

Gallery
    View images

My first digital drawing and Painting

Hello everyone,
    I am new to digital art and conventional drawing and painting but am taking active steps late in life to learn whilst having fun with ArtRage. I would welcome c&c. Both were done freehand - avocado has been eaten

Can someone tell me if it is possible to separate layers once they have been merged?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my_right_foot_259.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	4907  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images

good looking avocado

hey vil

I have little experience with artrage, but the basic rules that apply to photoshop, paintshop, painter and so on also apply here.
    I don't think layers can be un-merged once you merge them. my advice to you is to save several copies of your work as you make progress, so you can go back to a saved version, even if you lose some work and time.

when I create any kind of digital art, I save the original sketch, then I save major steps - after coloring, before adding a new effect etc. I don't merge layers if I don't have to, as I try to create only the necessary layers in the first place. when I am satisfied with the result, I export the work to a png or jpg file, but I keep the psd file intact.

Gallery
    View images
    hahaha... clever use of the paint texture for the avocado skin. Love it!

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the information Dori, I'll do what you suggest. Is it ever absolutely necessary to merge all layers? Although the family computer has got photoshop, paintshop and painter, these programs have too much information to digest, especially for a beginner like me. ArtRage is GREAT! Just one thing though, wish it had a practice palette to mix colours and check brush sizes, strokes etc.

Thanks for your comment D Akey. ArtRage makes learning to draw and paint such FUN! No mess to clear up afterwards and no toxic fumes endangering my lungs any further.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Vil, I too am just starting out with ArtRage2 and I love it so far. Your work looks very nice - good colors and textures.

About the test palette - Why not just use the undo feature (ctrl + z) to test out brushes and colors. I don't know how many times you can go back but I think it's quite a few.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day - Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day! Joe V.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi JVolkel, Thanks for reminding me about the keyboard shortcut, I have been going up to the menu bar :x I suppose I can use one layer for simply experimenting? Looking forward to seeing your work here.

Gallery
    View images
    the avocado is great! i just in aww sometimes on how "real" the paintings done in artrage are. it looks like you did it in real paint. and the textures are great.

Gallery
    View images
    Hey thanks fisharms! I love using oil paint tool in ArtRage but my tutor wants me to repeat my effort with real paint!