ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Directional Drawing Constraints

Directional Drawing Constraints

How about enabling a hotkey (stickykey) to contsrain stroke directions...such as horizontally, vertically, degree presets (45, 60...) as well as locking the angle of your last stroke. This would be a handy tool for tightening up lines/outlines, creating shading, drawing patterns etc...

The next thing you know...the guy will be asking for circles and ellipses display grids and, and... : )

Diggin it!

I would really like this feature as well. It's great that the software lets you do more traditional painting but adding the functionality to easily draw straight lines can really help for certain tasks. For example, I do a lot of concept sketches with it and then sketch the orthogonal views of my characters for modelling. But lining up the character in the different views is not as easy as it could be since I can't quickly sketch straight lines to help me accurately line up all the different features of my character. As a result, I find this program great for concepts but tedious when trying to accurately lay things out. Adding this functionality would really expand its usefulness. I just figure if you can add tools to leverage the computer's ability to speed up the work process, it's a good thing.

But I love the program. Awesome price and it must have one of the best thought-out and practical UIs for any art program.

Hm how about something like this? We don't need too much accuracy in straight lines or angles, nor grid systems. Grid can be made in any other software including mspaint, and then simply inserted as a tracing image.

A screen ruler like that could be movable when the mouse is over it, without changing the tool one uses, and rotated when the mouse is over the little hole in the center. Even scaled horizontally when over the left or right edge. As for activating -deactivating it a little button under the color wheel would be enough, as not to clutter the tools palette.
    One edge would snap the cursor to it, allowing for straight lines.
    Also, rotation like that, would make it easy and quick to draw vanishing point perspective guides.
    Opacity though could mean a performance hit, and on the other hand if the ruler is opaque the underlying stroke would not be easily seen in most cases... I dunno, it's just an idea.

There could even be multiple rulers on the screen, snapping at 90 degrees to eachother -- k, I'm going too far :P
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's a very cool mock-up, Azathothgr.
    You should be on the ArtRage design team.

And it's a very good idea.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Yes, the mockup is excellent! Suggestions are great, but you've taken an extra step and shown how a feature can be incorporated into ArtRage's existing paradigm of simplicity and accessibility. Way cool.

- Gita

As a Traditional Painter / ArtRage user, I see any moves towards CAD tools as desecration!

But!!!!!!!!

This is the way to go, I could certainly live with this.
    Would it also act as a form of Frisket? That would help both Airbrushers and Watercolourists, sort of moveable masking tape.

Now there's another idea!
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Ooo a "real" frisket that you can move around..
    You'd want to change its shape freely though, I can't imagine how that 'd be done with something like my ruler there.. Perhaps it could have some scalable basic shapes like circles and ellipses.. if they're invertible (invertable, sp?) even better, think of the airbrush possibilities =D

I'll agree with Aged P though, CAD like tools shouldn't be in artrage (photosh*p-like guides and top/left rulers are seriously off).. Perhaps not allowing any snapping for the ruler placement would be a closer to what I imagined. No true horizontal lines or too accurate angles that way ..
    Or it could behave more like a real ruler and not actually snap the pointer, just block it from going into one direction, while it "touches" the canvas, ie while painting.

Edit : I just realized .. The whole functionality is already there, in the form of reference images! The only extra thing is snapping / blocking the pointer.. Loading a bmp ruler as a reference image, can already be of help.. Well it wouldn't snap, but at least it would make it easier to visualize the line.

While I can't give anything away about major upcoming features (sorry to disappoint the leagues of Corel and Adobe developers avidly reading this forum for ideas...), we do have some plans for tools to help with masking and shapes/lines.
    This is a very cool discussion - I should just get Azathothgr on the team to do it for me
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

You mean that if I mention the free Painter Disk that came with the Intuos3, I can influence that too?

OK Guys, the paper cover is already letting coffee run through onto the desk. Could you fill the hole in the centre of the disk in so it doesn't do that?

Adobe?
    Could we have an "Abort" button after the first 15 seconds of patent numbers? It's only the Elements version. You give it away with other products.

EGD? Hi, why do all the little menus come up all over the screen before the work area arrives?
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.