ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Silent Antipodean Lake (With Revised Image, Added)

A Silent Antipodean Lake (With Revised Image, Added)

Not quite happy with this, but it does look better than 30 minutes ago...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A Silent Antipodean Lake.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	62940  
    Last edited by iceaxe; 01-08-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)

I think the lighting is great Iceaxe and overall a very good painting.
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

iceaxe.. i like the mood and lighting. and as Katie said overall a very nice work... I don't know if you would want to brighten the water some or add some glints and reflections that are a little more distinct.... EB would be the guy to help on that point... still I like it just the way it is... although it must not have been exactly what you wanted at the time.

Agree with gxhpainter, If you are not satisfied you may add reflections, or lights or what you want......but, I really like it.
    I can tell that happens to me too.
    Usually I like my paintings while I do them , I enjoy , but many times when I'm finished I like them less....
    or not at all!
    Silvia Bandini

Sorry for my english...
    Click for my gallery
    Click for my Blog
    Click for my deviant

I like it as it is... nicely reflective effects.

Just throw an old dead tree in front of the lake and off to the left about 1/3 the way in and you will have a focal point. I think that is what you are missing. The mountains are maybe a focal point now but rather far away.
    Anyway, for what it's worth some cheap advice.
    Oh, having read some other advice I agree about the lake. Just capture the sky colors and put them in the lake only slightly darker.
    Last edited by jibes; 01-06-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Thank You
    coops
    gxhpainter
    silvy
    AT-TA
    and
    jibes

for your kind input (and for those who offered justified remedies)

This upload had very lazy origins, and to be truthful, was a bit half hearted.
    I didn't quite get round to plugging in my tablet,
    and then after that, I became so absorbed trying to rectify some trivial problem that I forgot to even consider a second layer.

So after all your comments I am feeling like the outcome wasn't so bad after all. You are a supportive lot and I always value your thoughts and ideas
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)

Well 30 minutes ago the clouds probably weren't covering your subject. Lighting is one of the most powerful tools we as artists have. It allows us to stage things.

I look at this and see great potential, although I wouldn't really know without getting in and painting on it.

But there's at least one way I see to make this extraordinary.

Starting point: you have everything in shadow except for the mountains in the distance. What pops to mind is that within this shadow there is a reflecting item of water that can introduce light into the darkness because it is essentially the lake behaving like sky. . . with some characteristic water qualities to it to differentiate.

So the water is the star of the show. And as such you can manipulate everything to feature that.

The other thing that might leave you a little disappointed is the use of so much black as a way of doing shadow. It sort of deadens the color and obscures what is going on there. A better choice is to mix your colors. If it's worth putting into your picture, it's worth making it worth looking at. Shadow does not necessarily mean there's nothing there worth looking at.

Shadow can be very eye catching and interesting if not active. When looking at this, I think of those inspirational message photos of nature where they did a lot of 'darkroom' manipulation to idealize it. Those tend to work as photos. But unless you nail it precisely, it often falls short in a painting because they tend to be so simple. "Simple" needs to be precise because there's fewer things we're looking at, and the balance is key.

So you have the makings of a really nice painting here, both thematically and as something beautiful to look at.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks D Akey
    "... the water is the star of the show. And as such you can manipulate everything to feature that."

I have read your advice and in accordance, have tried to keep my adjustment as simple as I can. I'm not sure if this is putting my foot in it so to speak, but the result here might be something of a juxtaposition. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feet at Lake Export.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	62993  

That adds another quirky dimension Iceaxe, I like it
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307