ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What alternative "Art" software do you use in combination with Artrage?

What alternative "Art" software do you use in combination with Artrage?

Assuming that AR is your primary software of choice...
    What other software might you typically use in combination with AR?
    If you averaged out your usage, what would be your percentage breakdown?

For Example
    Artrage 85%
    Xara Designer Pro and or Xara Picture Editor 7%
    Photoshop 5%
    Colour Mechanic Pro 3%
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)

My other software would be photoshop that I use mainly because of years of photo retouching I can do so many final touches on there.

BTW if I was on a desert Island along with a laptop I would go with a solar panel. I always was lazy. Lol

Currently, I use Paint Tool Sai the most- perhaps 60-70% of the time, Artrage perhaps 25% of the time, and Sketchbook Pro 2010 perhaps 10%.

Sai is far less user friendly in the beginning, and needs more user input to build up the libraries of textures and brush heads that you'll need in order to really make it worth your while. It also doesn't really have a functioning, active community like this one. Thirdly, it has far more sliders and whatnot up on screen- it's set up much like Painter. This means you spend almost no time at all going into menus and pulling stuff up, which is nice, but you also spend a lot of time switching back and forth from full-screen to the screen with sliders, etc.- OR you have all that info up all the time. Artrage is set up much nicer.

However, it's ability to easily build ambient texture is unsurpassed, IMO. You can pick a texture that will give you the affect of having it move across paper (edges and what not being non-uniform, like in Artrage), but it also pushes texture through the center of the brush head. You can then easily overlay that on top of a brush head texture- kind of like a Photoshop brush- so you can make it a square head or pointed, or a dry stringy brush, etc etc, or you can just use a second basic texture to overlay on top of the first. You can then add a paper texture, which creates ambient noise within whatever it is that you've painted on that layer (which you can dial up or down as well). This kind of triple-play is fantastic for getting a good grunge affect. Finally, you can easily add a "fringe" to the edge of what your laying down (for watercolors). This looks much like Artrage's watercolor, but you can turn it on or off, and you can you determine the strength and width of the fringe as well. All of this allows me to easiliy create heavy fringed areas, dry brush areas, or smooth washes with an ambient texture all in the same program. For me, that's better than Painter even, and it runs a million times lighter than Painter.

What's also great is that the texture/brush head set up is by tool, rather than by layer as in Artrage, so you can build up various textures and noise all on the same layer by using different brush heads. All the dials to easily lighten or increase the strength of all the textures are easily and readily available. This has made watercolor emulation very easy- particularly when I want sort of ambient texture in a wash, etc. This was something that I found very difficult to do in Artrage. It also makes textured pencils and pens much much easier to build and use. It's also a very light and small program. BIG 500 pixel brushes just fly on it, and I have no problem using it even on a solo core computer- dual core is even more of a breeze. It runs very light.

Artrage is still the king for me with its blenders. Nothing really compares to the ease with which I can blend and spread and push paint around in Artrage. So, currently, I set up work in Sai, and then bring it in to Artrage for blending/smushing/moving processes.

I also do some work in Sketchbook Pro, but it's almost entirely roughs or techincal layout work and not much more. Perhaps 10% of my work. It very very easily, and very quickly, cuts/rotates/resizes stuff on the fly-- much faster than Artrage, and more easily and quickly set up than in Sai. The pencil tools are very fluid as well. This combo has made it great for roughs. However, I still really find it lacking, in the end, for believable textures. It's just too flat for me.

Art Rage 89%
    PhotoShop CS 5 - 10.5%
    Corel Painter 11 - .5% and going down..

I have to say ArtRage 100%. I have never tried any other program for painting. artRage gives me everything I need or want to use. If I hadn't bought the IPad and tried the software I wouldn't be painting now. It would have been something I did in the past which I couldn't do now because of loss of sight. ArtRage has brought back one of my passions which is to try to be artistic.
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
    I have to say ArtRage 100%. I have never tried any other program for painting. artRage gives me everything I need or want to use. If I hadn't bought the IPad and tried the software I wouldn't be painting now. It would have been something I did in the past which I couldn't do now because of loss of sight. ArtRage has brought back one of my passions which is to try to be artistic.
    I look at your work, how incredible it is and cannot believe that you have sight problems.

Until then, I never drew a digital painting. Only occasionally did a collage or retouch in Corel Photo-Paint (not Painter).

Now it's 100% Artrage.

(sorry for the web translate)

I use my programs for different, often specific, reasons. So, in my case, giving a percentage rating would be misleading. My current top, art related, programs would probably be (in no particular order) :
    ArtRage Studio Pro
    Photoshop CS2
    Paint Tool Sai (mainly for the vector-like Ink Layer)
    Google SketchUp
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

You mean there's stuff other than Artrage??!!!

I mainly use Artrage, my scanned sketches, my iPad, rarely Anime Studio, and Picasa. I used to use Photoshop CS3, but have long since forgotten it. Upon finding Artrage, but Photoshop is a great program to use if you're technically savvy. (which I don't have a whole lot of.)

Painter and Artrage

I have been using Painter since version 3 and I have Painter 12 now. It's the best version so far. Artrage has been with me all since the very first version.

I use them both for bitmap painting and drawing both as much, I guess.

For vector works I use Serif Draw 5.

My photos are edited in Photoshop Elements 10