ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Storm Setting - WIP

Storm Setting - WIP

We recently had a cell roll through that lasted about 20 minutes. Many people sent images in to the local paper and news stations. This is an image that was extraordinary. This image was taken over the Owyhee mountains south of Boise, ID.

I am recreating it.

Tips and critiques greatly appreciated. I have not "drawn" seriously for over 10 years. I have never painted. I thought I would try "Art Markers" for my first full piece.

In the first image I have chosen to start with the sky. With very precise picking of color I managed to get an acceptable gradient for my sky. I am pleased with the result. Layered about 15 colors in two separate ranges. There is the left side with orange to deep blue and white to deep blue on the other.

In the second image you can see blocked out the cloud layer and have started adding detail, starting left to right. I am unsure of how I feel with the results thus far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunse storm1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	62908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunsetstorm2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	62909  

Added some more detail to the clouds. Also decided to post my pencil outline. Most of the image is strictly done from reference. Though I did create a stencil to separate the clouds from the sky when I was blocking them in.

Name:	sunsetstormpencil.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	62910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunsetstorm3.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	62911  

update with some more cloud detail.

Name:	sunsetstorm4.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	62939  

Can't wait to see the finished piece! Love those beautiful skies, unless they are close by.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibui View Post
    Can't wait to see the finished piece! Love those beautiful skies, unless they are close by.
    Thanks Shibui! I can't wait to finish it. I will probably start some work on the distant mountains tonight. If people are interested I will continue to update regularly. Otherwise I will most likely wait until it is done.

Distant mountains and some blocking in of the foreground.

Name:	sunsetstorm5.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	62956  

Looking good. I am new to painting, so I enjoy these works in progress or for me , mini tutorials . But that is up to you, I'll be watching either way.

Took some time away from this project and finally got back into it. The grass area was the most tedious. I retried this area several times without satisfaction and kind of "cheated" to get the current result. It is the only part of the image that I used the reference image to pull colors from.

It looks too accurate to be satisfactory yet.

Here is my progress at this point.

P.S. The foreground just about used up the stroke nib on my grip pen! ha ha

Name:	sunsetstorm6.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	63356  
    Last edited by Oakshios; 01-22-2012 at 05:11 PM.

I logged in to reply. This is a really expressive piece. I feel that you can build up on that.