ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Best tablet advice

Best tablet advice

As I'm about to buy my first tablet, should I go for something relatively inexpensive, or go for something better staright off?

I'm looking at the Wacom Bamboo Fun, and also the Intuos4. There's a big prioce difference, and I don't want to commit to either without first asking for your advice - and also for any recommendations.

Are there any other tablets brands/models I should consider? I'm not a professional artist, but I do want to buy something which will last and allow me to properly explore and develop my painintg skills.

I think that is different for everybody and a very persona choicel. But a tip is that the tablet size should match your type of screen, like widescreen or not. I personally bought a cheap brand which is very common but sold under different names. It matches my screen and is a bigger size (A4) working area. It works fine form me for more than a year now. And because it's a hobby and I am not a professional I would buy the same one again next time. It depends on what you do, if u for example use Linux you'd better buy one which has an easy Linux driver and so on. That is what you should considder. Of course Wacom is very good, no doubt about that....

Hi Lightwind, im using the Intuos4, and i love it, over the years ive had a few wacom tablets,i started with the graphire, then moved to the intuos 3, i love the new features on the 4, the main problem with it is the nibs ware down real quick, i put a thin sheet of plastic on mine and it solved the problem, it depends how much you want to spend, i think whatever wacom tablet you have you will like it, take care

I use a wacom cte-640 that I have had for a few years now.
    Although it may not have some of the features of the later models it has a plastic cover over the tablet and the pen never seems to wear at all.
    I think it will outlast me.
    Geoff

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for your advice.

VanityX suggested matching the tablet size to the screen size. I've got a 24" LCD widescreen, so does this mean that a Medium sized pad would be the right size?

Regarding the nib wear on Wacom tablets, where can you purchase the plastic film to cover the tablet with? Is this an actual accessory which Wacom sells, or is it something you've made for yourself? Do you know if the Wacom Bamboo tablets suffer from this nib wear problem?

I'm basically concerned about either: a) spending too much on a top-of-the-range pad with features I'll never use or need; or b) that if I don't spend enough on the pad, then I'll regret it, and then I'll end up spending even more money on buying the pad I should've bought in the first place ... if this makes any sense.

Hope I'm not asking too many questions!

HI Lightwind, sry for the delay in responding, i made my own cover from acetate sheet, you can get the ones made for the job from the wacom website, but it cost very little to make my own, and im still using the same nib so im happy with it, also some people use artist paper for a different texture and feel, ive tried pastel paper, but i like the acetate better, im using a 27 inch monitor with the large intuos 4, it worked ok on a 24 inch one too, if that is any help, take care : )

Thanks very much.

After much prevaricating, I've finally taken the plunge and bought a Wacom Bamboo Fun - Small. It seems ideal, and so far I'm very pleased with it.

Thanks for the advice on using acetate sheets, which I'll try as well.

Best wishes.