ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer sunshine

Summer sunshine

Did this before Xmas and now my mind is blank as to what I used but 100% ArtRage
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Awesome work
    Val
    Valerie

Very lovely and at this time of year a welcome sight.
    Geoff

Jean, what a beautiful flower

Thanks Val, Pat and Geoff your comments are much appreciated

Very nice form. One could punch the saturation a wee bit, though, seeing as it's a flower (the colorist's dream) and a solitary portrait of sorts, meaning you don't have to balance it with anything else in the picture. Right now it feels a tiny bit heavy with the amount of black in it.

Photos tend to have their own color balance which nobody would ever question in a photo because photos' strong point is usually grabbing the information. But a painting has the opportunity to excel in the area of color.

Would work great right now for a pet or something because that is often about getting proportions and expression right.

For me I want to celebrate color in flowers. Sensory dazzle. I want to smell their fragrance and color is the closest thing to conveying that.

But it's not bad. Just suggesting an alternative for later if you want that to be your main thing in doing a flower.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks D Akey, I'll keep that in mind for the next one but one wonders what colours someone else sees as on my comp to my eye it is heavily saturated

I know what you mean. Probably a vocabulary thing.

Look in the areas that are modeled and you can see there's a lot of black mixed into the butterscotch giving it a bit of a gray or greenish cast which pulls it away from a purity of the local color (that orange). The dark green hedges or whatever that is behind gives it a feeling of intensity because of the contrast in values. And the lighter areas are brighter to be sure, certainly in that context.

There's a characteristic photo look to palettes when they have this gray in the colors. Many artists use or mix more of a color into those areas (eg. with various shades of orange (mixed with colors like darker warms like a touch of purple as an example only) moving to the darker but less black colors that do not neutralize the saturation because it pushes the cooler colors again with more of a purple cast which has a higher key though darker on the value scale, but less black tone.)

The addition of these colors enliven the painting owing to the variety of color on one hand, and/or if you are keeping to the color for that effect, one can use a spectrum of the oranges that use little black/gray). One has to play with it a few times with that consciousness before it makes sense how it works. One of those situations where doing it makes it come clear. Some artists (not you) never get it because they are not interested in color as much as other aspects of a painting. So it's not always intuitive.

Hope that makes sense and is of some use to you.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks D A for your time and trouble and I do appreciate it and will keep all you have said in mind and hope to improve

jean.... a very nice study... reading D Akey's tips if incorporated should produce even better results...!!..