ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Orential Face

Orential Face

SoS,gxpainter& Vanityx,

I am submitting my version of Chuck Close's paintings of an orential face.
    This was one of his subjects I used to do in Airbrush and felt pen. After making a sketch of the face I started with airbrush to get the colors. Then using another layer I enlarged the painting and put in the detail for the face with felt pen. My background was different.
    What do you think?
    Ted
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orental Face Air Brush.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	310.2 KB 
ID:	62697  

I think you come very close to his painting ! Well done ! And did it very quickly too !
    So if I understand correctly you did this by hand using the airbrush on another layer ?

I had been thinking about a way to reproduce this in Artrage but did not find a solution yet. I am a kind af a human copymaschine but that would take me too much time. So I was thinking about an easier way but do not have enough experience yet and I do not have Photoshop.....

Maybe this is an idea....I opened a new painting with a pillowed canvas with a scale of 100 %. And started painting on the second layer to make the sketch... Therefor you see the white lines because I used chalk with little pressure. After that I add color to the first layer so that the grid or raster or what is it called, can vary in color. I used highpressure to paint the pillows.
    Then i did a little work on the eye but I have not studied mr. Close's paintings very well so it does look different. But with this canvas you may create some clear grid as guidelines....
    Maybe there is a possibilty to create you own canvases in Artrage ?? You can also use them as filters if you make them transparent....

Name:	close.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	255.0 KB 
ID:	62704  

Close Techniques

Vanityx,
    I think you have hit on a great idea. You have the grid structure right.
    I also think you have your own great style and have some wonderful paintings of your own. I viewed your paintings and admire your work.
    I have been to Germany and loved the country and the people. Also Holland. What a beautiful country! Nice to meet you and thanks for your input on my submissions.
    Ted

You're welcome Ted. There is another Special canvas with squares, maybe you can use that too.
    And thanks for your kind compliment on my paintings.

Holland is very nice but to crowded and at some places you have to really do your best to find a quiet green place with plants flowers and grass. The German people here tell us all the time that the Dutch know better how to enjoy life, we smile a lot and know how to have fun in life. But that is only in small villages like ours where they are really too serious and too afraid to not fit in this very small community of about 3000 people. If you put your carbage out on the wrong day the whole village knows and talks about it...haha... But it is very nice here in the country, there is space, nature, forrests and fresh air to breathe and also very friendly people once they get to know you. They still call us the Dutch and everybody knows they point to us and not to one of the other seven dutch family's in this village.....

that is really great, I wondered about that pillowed paper when I saw the original post, but don't know enough about the app yet to know how to apply it. Good job!!

I also have not enough creativity to think what to do with the pillowed canvas. But that is because I normally paint in another way, like realistic paintings, But I am sure that there are some nice options to apply this canvas to....

Ted, i made you a stencil to make it easier... you can download it as a PNG here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39448470/50.png
    Then open stencel, choose import stencil and choose the PNG file. After making the raster you can also invert the stencil if needed.

It looks like this:

Name:	rasterdoutzen.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	386.0 KB 
ID:	62829  

Grid

Vanityx,
    What a dear you are to go to all this trouble for me.
    I will see if I can do that. Is that you?? in the painting.
    Outstanding!
    Ted