ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Different technique

Different technique

Hi all,
    I saw this painting online from an artshow in a Los Angeles Museum. The artist was Chuck Close. He is a professional Photographer as well as artist.
    I have never seen anything like this!
    If you have any suggestions on how he accomplished this let me know.
    Thanks Ted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chuck Close #3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	414.1 KB 
ID:	62657  

Well... I'm not sure how he did it, but I figure something like it could be done using filters, such as those in photoshop. The idea is simple... First take a photograph of your subject. Open the photo in an image editor, and manipulate it to the point that you're happy. Print the image you have created. Because the image has a grid involved, you'd only need to recreate that grid (at a larger aspect ratio), and then paint each cube as it appears, alone, on the edited print out. If you hit each small square correctly, the finished work should be fairly spot on.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

tedb...a fantastic work I have seen some other images by Chuck.. I don't think you could get this with just a filter in Photoshop, but to me it looks like he did a smaller painting with the organic shapes, combined with a photo, and combined them and by applying transformations for scale and rotation along with blending modes and layer masking you could get the digital version of this.. Was this actually painted or a large digital print?... if painted then he probably followed the process outlined by SOS... It definitely has that flavor of the digital... I expect we will be much more cross pollination between digital and traditional media techniques going forward .. as our own jibes has been exploring bringing in scanned natural media images and then reworking them in AR...

I found Chuck's website and according to that while his work might look like a photo manip... it is 100% hand painted...

read here http://www.chuckclose.coe.uh.edu/life/index.html
    Last edited by gxhpainter2; 12-24-2011 at 09:57 AM.

It looks like he puts some structured glass over a picture and paints what he sees....in a grid maybe...but I think it is absolutely great what he does !

Digital Image of Chuck Close

SOS, gxpaianter,& Vanityx, Thank you so much for your input. I tend to agree he works on several layers over his original subject. He definately does paint by hand his final work. At any rate he is a gifted artist with a vision of things out of the circle.
    I will post my version of one of his subjects that I am working on.
    Thanks all for viewing.
    Ted

It is done by painting each grid square in mulitple layers using primary and secondary colors. Each new layer does not fill the space of the previous layer completely and allows for the eye to do the color mixing. It takes a long time for him to build up a painting and most of the ones I've seen are massive in scale.
    I'll be with you in the squeezing of a lemon. ('_')
    www dot marking paper dot blogspot dot com

Sorry upfront to have used an image of your own to illustrate what could be done with photoshop filters within < 5 mins.

Hans
    Attached Images Attached Images