ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Edge work.. ( revised again)

Hard Edge work.. ( revised again)

for the past several months I have been studying the works of the California Hard Edge painters , trying to understand where they were coming from and thier artistic goals. Prior this I didn't really like their stuff that much but gradually began to like and appreciate their works.... so I am taking an artistic detour ( something one can do if you don't try to make a living at painting ).. and explore this genre.. this is the first foray. I found it wasn't quite as simple as it looks.. so the shift and ctrl keys have replaced the ruler and masking tape.. I am interested in what you think so please feel free to comment...

oh one more ..I will probably post these into this thread.

new work added.. HE Rhythms1c....chalk, roller and pen..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	California-HE1b.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	420.0 KB 
ID:	62625   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	California-HE1c.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	483.2 KB 
ID:	62633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HE Rhythms1b.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	495.6 KB 
ID:	62660  
    Last edited by gxhpainter2; 12-23-2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: adding a new work

I like the first one, it has a sense of reliability and sturdiness
    The second one is almost confusing and duplicitous
    (A synaesthetic interpretation)
    Very interesting exploration!
    Last edited by iceaxe; 12-23-2011 at 06:19 PM.
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)

First one, I immediately thought books on a shelf. (I love books!)
    But the second one, my favourite, looks as though there's
    diamond stained glass in front of the books,
    as if to protect a treasure.
    Hin

Hin's Paintings: http://hinketea.imagekind.com

It gives me the pleasure of little kids books and geometry school volumes. I like the second one a little more, maybe just because of some more areas with a texture.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

iceaxe, Alexandra, Caesar and Hinket.. thanks for viewing and commenting. I can see the allusion to books on a shelf. Although the Hard Edge painter did not want any symbolism in their work just pure painting.. when I deviated from flat color and added shadows, roundness and texture to have thing coming forward and receding in the picture plane I think it is natural for people to assess the image as "something" for everyone that "something" is different.. so thanks for your commenting.. I plan to try several more of these types of work and will continue to post them here

Gary, I like both of them but I vote for the second because the diamond shapes add to the interest. I'm not familiar with the style but to me the composition might be better if the bars were more extremely varied in their width.
    Of paintings posted here I often think of how I would perceive it as I entered a room and saw it hanging on a wall prominently displayed. To me no. 2 would have more impact
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Thanks Neal for taking the time to fill me in on your thoughts.... I really appreciate them and was looking forward to your comments... I like the second one more myself as it at first glance looks very mechanical but closer observation shows a lot of "hand touches" . Having more variety in the sizes would setup a more complex rhythm and is one area I will probably explore as I do more of these..

Hi GX don't no why but felt giddy and a queasy feeling in the stomach

But might b old age

Plus I'm up too early