ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Technique request - Hard Pastels/Conté Pencils?

Technique request - Hard Pastels/Conté Pencils?

I'm guessing that 'Chalks' are the equivalent in ArtRage (I have Studio Pro) but the range of changes available seem quite limited as all you get is stroke thickness and pressure. I'm not certain Hard Pastels need more than that, but thought I'd ask anyway.

I'd like to use a Conté pencil, so far the best I've managed is to reduce the Chalk width to under 10% and the pressure to around 25%

The Chiselled edge you get on a hard pastel ( the 'square' ones) - How would you simulate that? Wide coverage in one direction, but sharp lines/tips when you use an edge or corner. I presume you'd have to set up different presets and just switch between them? (Since there is no 'chiselled' setting like for the pen tool)

Also, blending them - what's the best pallette knife setting to use to smudge pastel/chalks together as if it was your fingertip?

I've been experimenting but was wondering if anyone had already figured all this out and had some settings or presets I could play with?

Failing that, is there some advanced guide somewhere to creating your own presets that let you bring in settings from other tools to experiment with on the chalks? (Like a hardness slider, etc.)

Loving the program and the things I've figured out so far!

The main tools cannot be changed, any further then the settings panel allows for. So you won't be able to do things, like snagging the pen pressure width control from the Pen Tool, and putting it on the chalk. You could try making a bitmap style brush, using Stickers and Sticker Spray tool, but you'll have to imitate a grain texture, because the stickers do not pick up the canvas texture. The marks made with the Spray can be smeared, somewhat, with the default palette knife, but I'd recommend using the Crayon tool for it. I'd most likely recommend the Crayon tool for all of it (if you weren't looking for a pressure controlled line width). In any event, here's a couple threads that may be of some use to you:
    Sketch Brush Sticker Spray Presets: I posted an .arpack on this thread, just a few days ago, which were designed to imitate the line work another forum user was interested in replicating. They have pressure controlled alpha, and line width, which is reversed in some of them. So with some of them, if you put pressure down on your pen, you might get a dark, thick, line of chalk, while with others, applying pressure will disperse a dark thin line, into a wider, gritter mark.

Charcoal Style Method: I explain a method I use to imitate Charcoal, using the Crayon tool.
    Last edited by Someonesane; 12-21-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks. Interesting links - you've obviously messed about with AR a lot more than I have

I tried the crayons, it just doesn't work right so the chalks are still the best option it seems. With the true colour blending turned on, they work pretty well, just a little soft at times.

I lihe sticker spray idea, quite a fun use of it. I may try that one again in the future.

Maybe the next update to ArtRage could give us the option of adding extra controls to the tools, making our own presets that way? Just a thought.