ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Drawing with crayons

Drawing with crayons

On request I will try to explain how I did the skin of this painting with crayons.

I am using this stencil for an example :

First I fill it up with chalk using some tone of the skin like the middle dark tone..... with the follwing settings:

like this:

Then I take a darker tone to put some shade and choose Crayon with a pressure of about 14 and softness about 70% and without putting any pressure on the pen I start drawing a shade by going over the chalk many times untill you reach the the color you want. The Crayon will blend in with the chalk very nicely but not perfect like this:

To get a darker shade I put more pressure on my pen and leave the pressure at 14 the whole time.... like this:

To blend these two shades I use the same color and go over the edges using no pressure on my pen. I do this many times untill I think it looks good. Actually the same way I would do it in real life...

Then you get something like this:

To get a highlight color I pick pure white as a crayoncolor with the same settings the whole time through. In this case I move the crayon around in a very small circle many many times untill it is almost white. Using more pressure on my pen in the middle. For the blending part I move the crayon in circles around the higligthed spot untill it blends in more fluently.
    Like this:

As far as I am concearned this is not good enough for me so to make the shades blend in more I pick the original chalk color and again choose the crayon with the same settings as before and a bigger pensize like 100 or 500 and without putting pressure on my pen I go ver the edges many times to make them blend in more. After that I use a black color to make the darkest shade and then it looks like this....

On the next picture I made a black dot and the second picture shows how it can blend in with using different colors en the same settings:

If I am not totally happy with the blending of the shades I use a knife to blend the colors like I would use my finger in real live to blend the colors.
    I choose the fourth knife with pressure and softness 100%. I blend the areas that are not good enough for me by moving in small circles over the edges of the diffrent shades that needs more blending.....

This is the endresult of drawing skintones with crayons...... although if it was a real painting I would spend more time on blending than I did with this example.

As you can see you get some yellow and orange tones with blending, which was exaclty what I needed to make het skin look pure and fresh...

I hope I have explained it good enough, if not...just ask....

Thanks for sharing some secrets of your amazing technique with crayons.
    In fact, I've never worked with crayons, but I congratulate you for this work.
    Regards from Chile
    "El arte no reproduce lo visible. Lo hace visible" Paul Klee

Thank you for taking the time to show your technique I am going to practice it over the holiday, as I also have not used crayons before. Happy Christmas

Hi Stranger so nice to see you back and thanks for the tutorial it is very informative. I like to use my chalk with no pressure quite a bit to blend, but alas I am not up to your standards. But hey i am having fun.
    Geoff

Vanityx...a fascinating tutorial.... thanks so much for taking the time to tell us about your technique.

Well..... Limey-G I do not agree , I have seen your latest paintings and they are amazing !!!!

I am happy to help a bit if I can.
    Merry christmas to you all!!

A very interesting read Vanity
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/