ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Finicky Touch Gestures

Question Finicky Touch Gestures

I'm using a touch-enabled tablet (Wacom Bamboo Create), and am having a very difficult time zooming, panning, and rotating using touch gestures. If these gestures register at all, movement is often slow and frustrating.

Is there a particular setting or driver that I should be using to have touch work smoothly with ArtRage? (I'm using ArtRage 3.5.4 Studio Pro).

Touch gestures should be working fine via the tablet. Could you give us some details as to the nature of your painting and your computer? Let us know the size of the painting, the type of computer you're using (include the Operating System version, how much RAM you have, and processor speed), and any description you can of what you see when you try to trigger the gestures as this should help us work out what's happening.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks for the speedy response.

I do work with rather large paintings (typically 40cm by 25cm, 300dpi). I tried the gestures on a much smaller painting and found them somewhat more responsive; however, the zoom was still lagging behind and difficult to control.

I'm using 64-bit Windows 7 with an Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.93GHz and 4 GB of RAM.

Even on large paintings, I'm able to use the traditional zooming, panning, and rotating controls (such as the canvas positioner) without any lag or difficulty. The slow, cumbersome positioning only seems to happen with touch gestures.

I just realized that I forgot to describe the experience as you had requested. Sorry about that.

Typically, if I try to zoom, it often registers as a "rotate" motion instead. (This doesn't happen very often on small painting, oddly enough; but nearly always in large ones.)

Zooms (if I'm finally able to perform one) do not happen in real-time, often taking a full two or three seconds after I performed the gesture. (I can actually remove my hand from the touch surface and watch the zoom happen for several seconds). The zoom also happens in very small increments, no matter how wide apart I spread my fingers, meaning a "close-up" zoom will require four or five attempts.

If I intend to rotate, it lags by about a second and doesn't correspond to the angle of rotation in the gesture (usually the number of degrees are cut by a factor of about three).

Panning likes to restrict itself to only horizontal or vertical movements (not always, but often), and appears very choppy.

Needless to say, it's a less than optimal experience, so I'll be happy to provide any other information I can to help identify the problem.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the additional information. Working with a larger image we've seen a bit of this behaviour today. We haven't been able to get gestures to not work at all however. If you make sure that your gestures begin inside the touch region on the tablet (there are some marks on the surface telling you where the touch area is) they should always activate.

Situations where a zoom turns in to a rotate could be due to the tracking on the tablet. If it detects the fingers rotating before it detects them pinching it may trigger a rotation not a zoom.

The speed of zooming could relate to the way that ArtRage does smooth zooming rather than step based zooming. The MT gesture system on the Bamboo sends us key events to zoom, so when you zoom in (for example) we get repeated 'zoom a step in' events. In an app that zooms in, say, 5% increments you'll get faster zooming than here where we zoom in 1% increments because the same number of steps produces a bigger zoom offset.

Rotation could be the same, we're talking to Wacom's engineers to find out how the gearing of the rotation for touch events is done so we can consider any changes that may need to be made.

Panning is something we're looking at now. Again, the system sends repeated key events for panning and it may be that things are getting tangled up when the image is larger.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Situations where a zoom turns in to a rotate could be due to the tracking on the tablet. If it detects the fingers rotating before it detects them pinching it may trigger a rotation not a zoom.
    Unfortunately, for very large paintings, this is proving to be next to impossible. The larger the painting, the harder it is to zoom instead of rotate.

Either way, thanks again for being so prompt into your investigation. I'm looking forward to improvements in future versions.

Cheers,