ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Failed to create stencil

Failed to create stencil

Hi, here I'm again.
    I should have attached pictures to show what I meant when I said that only a red border stencil appeared.
    Here they are.
    The one with Chinese characters was not "successful" while the other one was.
    I have also attached the files of those images I used to make the stencils.
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

The reason that your chinese characters aren't being made into a stencil which surrounds them tightly is that the image you have loaded with the characters doesn't have a transparent background.

When you create a stencil from the contents of a layer, ArtRage puts a stencil around the area or colour on that layer. The chinese characters are a square block of colour so you get a square stencil. Your access granted image has a transparent background, so when you create a stencil you get only the letters.

You can also import images directly to your stencils ( via clicking 'import stencil' in the stencils panel and browsing to your image ). When you do this, black parts of images are used as the 'hole' in the stencil, and white parts are used as the 'plastic' of the stencil. Shades in between will let varying amounts of paint through. As your image background is not white, you will still get some paint bleeding through when you paint over a stencil added in this way however.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Smile Able to create stencils

Thanks Dave. I followed your instruction to import the image directly into the stencil panel and it works.
    Now that I have the stencil and when I wanted to use it, it seems a bit too big. Is there a way to reduce its size while it is on the canvas/paper area?

Great to hear that was of some help. The initial stencil size relates to the size of the image being used as a stencil, but you can resize stencils when you have them on the canvas in a number of ways:

Hold down the ALT key and drag on the stencil to make it smaller or larger
    Hold down the CTRL key and drag on the stencil to rotate it
    Right click on the stencil and drag it around to move it

Alternatively, if you're using ArtRage Studio or Studio Pro, you can use the transform tool ( 4 way arrow in the tool picker ) to click on the stencil. A transform frame will appear around the stencil with handles on it. Dragging a corner handle will allow you to resize the stencil, clicking, dragging a size hanle allows you to stretch it and dragging just outside the frame rotates it. When you're done you can press the enter key on your keyboard to apply the changes.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Smile Resizing the Stencils

Thanks a lot, Dave. I'm now able to resize the stencils to the correct size I need.
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your team.

I have been driving myself crazy trying to make stencils that show the texture of the image I want as a stencil. This thread made it so simple. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Can you invert them to block out the immage instead of allowing you to paint the immage?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowslake View Post
    Can you invert them to block out the immage instead of allowing you to paint the immage?

Yes, you can. Right click on the stencil, and select the "Invert the Stencil" option from the menu.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.